Soft rubber or plastic becoming sticky

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone knows why certain items that have rubber or plastic cases or surrounds become sticky?
Is it because of the lack of UV light? I have a couple of cameras with rubber type hand grips and have had them stored for a number of years and recently unpacked them to find the grips soft, sticky. I also have a set of weighing scales and the same has happened to them. You touch them and next minute , sticky black residue on the fingers.
Any info and a treatment would be appreciated.
Stay safe
Mackka

I had 2 pair of work boots done the same
I was told there is no chemical or repair that could be done
So they ended up in the bin
With yours you should be able to have the parts replaced easy enough

Yes 7.62 glad you reminded me I had a pair of work boots do the same and I was given the excuse that the rubber perished because I stored them in a cupboard without light. The gold scales were stored in the vinyl sleeve they came in and were stored in a desk draw the cameras were in aluminium storage boxes. I was told I could wipe them over with IPA but tried that on the scales case and didn't make any difference.
Cheers
Mackka

I have been told Its natural Degradation of the Plastic/rubber. A reaction with air and 'other' plastic Chemicals..

It happens if you store your soft plastic lures in a cheap tackle box... Plano and others use a special type of plastic in the manufacture of their Tackle boxes to avoid that issue...

You just have to watch what you store with them and How you store them...... Oh and no restoration cure that I know of...

LW...

Some rubbers/ plastics react when in contact with each other, they will soften and sometimes stick together. Fishing tackle boxes that are not worm proof will react with plastic baits and melt together. Even some garden hoses will soften and become sticky as they age and the uv stabiliser breaks down.
As Simmons says sometimes a wipe down with a mild detergent mix will remove the tackiness on some rubber / plastics.

Hey Mike !...how the hell are you mate. Long time no see mate...will you be likely to attend the next AGM. :cool:

Mackka said:
Just wondering if anyone knows why certain items that have rubber or plastic cases or surrounds become sticky?
Is it because of the lack of UV light? I have a couple of cameras with rubber type hand grips and have had them stored for a number of years and recently unpacked them to find the grips soft, sticky. I also have a set of weighing scales and the same has happened to them. You touch them and next minute , sticky black residue on the fingers.
Any info and a treatment would be appreciated.
Stay safe
Mackka

Yeah mate the lack of UV light does destroy them, Back around 2000 I bought the Phillishave Shaver they was in the movie Goldeneye and I put it away around 2012 and I opened the case and the rubber switch cover and rubber pad on the main body was all sticky, I thought something had been spilled on it and I tried to wipe it off and the rubber on the switch just stuck to my hand as did the rubber pad, So I got some Glass cleaner to try and clean it off, It got most off and is ok now but it does not look like it once did, Also the Power lead has started to crumble,

I am not impressed because it cost me 400 bucks back then,

Hey folks, thanks for the the advice. I bought some 303 yesterday and started doing a couple of samples before I attack the cameras. It appears to be looking really good and I think it might be a winner.
Thanks again
Mackka :Y: :Y: :Y:

OldGT said:
303 works awesome, not sure on sensitive electronics though.
Maybe a small cotton bud or wool, small dabs and wipes.
Brings a lot of things up like new and excellent protectant.

The 303 brand make a dozen or more different products covering automotive, marine and general purpose - these are just the automotive range:
https://www.303products.com.au/product-range/automotive

Which specific product/s are recommended/being used for rubberised surfaces, please?

Goldfreak said:
StoneTheCrows said:
Same as Simmo and add a little vinegar
or wipe with vinegar after soapy clean
If that doesn't work try rubbing alcohol ;)

'Rubbing alcohol' = Isopropyl alcohol (IPA), which Mackka tried without success:

Mackka said:
Yes 7.62 glad you reminded me I had a pair of work boots do the same and I was given the excuse that the rubber perished because I stored them in a cupboard without light. The gold scales were stored in the vinyl sleeve they came in and were stored in a desk draw the cameras were in aluminium storage boxes. I was told I could wipe them over with IPA but tried that on the scales case and didn't make any difference.

grubstake said:
OldGT said:
303 works awesome, not sure on sensitive electronics though.
Maybe a small cotton bud or wool, small dabs and wipes.
Brings a lot of things up like new and excellent protectant.

The 303 brand make a dozen or more different products covering automotive, marine and general purpose - these are just the automotive range:
https://www.303products.com.au/product-range/automotive

Which specific product/s are recommended/being used for rubberised surfaces, please?

First one, although I have the old white bottle. If you click product info it shows which materials.

I have used JIF household cleaner a few times which so far has worked on the rubber types I encountered this with.

Never used 303 before except when dropping a cow for the freezer . Do you have to spray them between the eyes ?

Latest posts