So who is up for a hunt this weekend WA....

grubstake

Moderating Team
Reaction score
If I was a searcher, I'd be hoping it was space junk that can be resold, rather than a meteorite that becomes the property of the WA government. Unfortunately, there's an awful lot of 'area' around York for it to have landed in!

Goldpick

Chris Johnson
Moderating Team
Reaction score
Funny thing is that a day previous to the WA meteorite I witnessed a large fireball down here in the SE of Oz in the wee hours of the morning. Had a orange tail on it and the main part was burning a bright green colour. It was spectacular enough to be beyond the norm for a regular meteorite (see them all the time when out night detecting).

Reaction score
spoon said:
grubstake said:
a meteorite that becomes the property of the WA government.

from my dead cold hands :argh:

Around 10 years back i was a member of a US meteorite forum , there was talk about the guys who meteorite hunt on the Nullarbor Plain .
So many stones are then rebirthed as found in the good old USA & marketed to collectors for big bucks $$$ .

The present laws in WA regarding ownership when finding a meteorite are just ridiculous , they are stuffing up the science of where the original fall happened .
It's farcical to imagine someone reporting finding a valuable meteorite in WA these days :(

Now Imagine the same laws applying to each state about Gold Nuggets except NSW .
Well that is what applies now with finding meteorites !

Absurd :N:

Latest posts