Snakes & Prospecting Safety

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Death Adder gives me the willies too, only good thing is while detecting it's likely to bite a coil first, so you may see it in that situation. They'll even hide in sand on beach dune areas my cousin informed me.

Burnt out areas are good in Summer, no leaf litter.

Tathradj said:
Mainly down the east coast of Australia. Up behind where I live Dr George is thick with them and so is a lot of places around here.
Other mongrel snake around is a Tiger snake but mainly thick a bit further south.
Yambulla my favorite hunting ground is well populated with both and being around 50Klm's from anywhere is a bit of a problem. LOL
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_death_adder

They occur in the Northern Territory as well.
About 20 years ago I was working at a powerhouse on an Aboriginal community called Ramangining, East of Darwin and not too far from the coast. My boss and I were cleaning up some dried leaves etc. and as he bent over to pick up a small pipe of leaves with his hands, he spotted the death adder slap bang in the middle of the pile :eek: . It was about 20" long, and looked a hell of a lot like the dried leaves it was curled up on.
We picked it up carefully with a plastic garden rake and took it into the scrub, then came back and continued our cleanup. Needless to say, we were a little distracted after that.

From my experience or should I say a mates experience snakes fangs will puncture leather boots.My mate went back to where he was born and lived the first 30 years of his life,Ayr Qld, to visit friends.At dusk,after horse riding got off his horse to open a farm gate and was hit by a taipan ,apparently not prepared to alter its direction of travel.Two lots of puncture marks were found in the boot.Luckily there were two other guys there,so he made it through but was a sick boy for a far while.

Bugger, going out this weekend and the one thought that was in my head is ....snake season approaching! It seems the browns love to come near the side of the road in spring. Just cant seem to outgrow my phobia, I hear any rustle and think the worst!

Twapster said:
Bugger, going out this weekend and the one thought that was in my head is ....snake season approaching! It seems the browns love to come near the side of the road in spring. Just cant seem to outgrow my phobia, I hear any rustle and think the worst!

Feet - do your thing. :lol: damn pesky critters. funny , they are protected and we aren't ? :eek:
years ago when I used do some shooting, I have had snakes come after me, mbe young nearby. saw a group of tigers, 4-5 stand on their tails like cobras and bark like a small dog. they heard us coming but weren't gonna move.

I was in the whipstick recently walking through some loose sticks and kicked a stick out of my way.
The bloody stick somehow snagged on another stick making the other stick swing around behind me tapping me in the back of my leg.

I got air for the next 3 meters nearly had to change my jocks.

I remember when i was a kid on the dairy farm in Gippsland and watching dad running for his life up the track from the dairy.......Big yellow boots and shorts.......Big tiger snake chasing him lol..dad was never the same after that.

We hunted rabbets the same way but using ferrets....

Problem was getting the ferrets to come out, if they happened upon a few kits...

Crackers were always a handy tool, but alas are no longer so easily obtained.

I can handle snakes they dont bother me one bit, but spiders make me scream like a little girl :)

There is a red belly black resident at Coles Bridge. Right where people have been digging into the bank of the Turon at the southern end of where the car park / camping area is.
It was happy sunning itself right next to the waters edge in plain view when I saw it 2 weeks ago.

I bloody hate snakes.

This one time, I was under my mums house in cairns checking for termites for her. Crawling along on my belly I came face to face with a taipan.
I can tell you all I near on stood up through the bloody floor boards, smacked my head and backed out quicker then the flash.

Claret pouring from my head, heart pounding and near on shite myself.

So yeah, I hate snakes.

my old prospecting mate is an old abo elder.. he has eaten snakes, crocks and lizards ect... And likes snake meat a lot... I am sure he will kill any he sees in a flash and dig a hole to cook it in.. :/ he says he doesn't need a prospecting licence to be on his tribes land and will dig a hole anyplace he likes and hunt where he likes........ :|

Im in fnq
There always out and about
Red belly blacks are the least of my worries
It's the brown, king brown and the taipans that you need to watch out for

Latest posts