snakes are out and about

Joined
Sep 11, 2014
Messages
1,494
Reaction score
3,563
I've come across my fair share while fly fishing in small streams, had a red belly black go across my feet on the bank while watching my mate wading and casting, I saw it coming and just froze, whispered to me mate and he didn't believe me but when he came over to look he did the JC and ran on water, I was trying not to laugh at the sight of him while the bloody thing took it's time to move on.
The worst I had was when looking for a spot to fish and walking up to a wire fence in a paddock, leaned over the fence to see better and feeling my foot move from underneath.........oh shit!!
I jumped and ran so hard and my mate (same mate) had a confused look on his face until he looked down and saw the angry tiger that I'd just stood on, suffice to say we didn't fish there.
 
Joined
Jul 2, 2013
Messages
347
Reaction score
75
Crowd control ? How about do I need a spare pair of undies. Hate them. always have . always will!! The more I prospect the more I see them the more I prospect in the cooler months. I usually visit common areas to get my fix of gold in the warmer months.
 
Joined
Sep 13, 2014
Messages
769
Reaction score
1,010
I came across a RBB one day and couldn't believe has fast they move. Thank God it was moving in the opposite direction to me. I've heard you should walk heavy, stamp your feet as you walk through the bush to signal you're near, so they get the chance to move off before you're on top of them... Not sure how effective that theory is...?
 
Joined
Mar 19, 2014
Messages
261
Reaction score
56
Very effective actually... just make a bit of noise kicking sticks rocks whatever and they will head the other way.
 

Tathradj

Doug
Moderating Team
Joined
Feb 17, 2014
Messages
10,695
Reaction score
13,107
Location
Now in Bega, NSW
Seems to be a boody good deterant. PMSL.

WalnLiz said:
Snakes and me have an "Understanding",...you leave me alone...I'll leave you alone. To date they have always kept their side of the bargain and generally been an asset....as they seem to be extremely good at "Crowd control". :D
 

pauly250

Paul T
Joined
May 6, 2013
Messages
104
Reaction score
38
Location
Queanbeyan, NSW
Out here east of queanbeyan its snake city at the moment,i do prefere to have the red bellies around to keep all the aggresive tigers and browns away ,the only downside of the redbellies is that they arent too kind to dogs and can bring on big vet bills if you can get there quick enough.
So far the dogs have been quicker than the snakes
 

pauly250

Paul T
Joined
May 6, 2013
Messages
104
Reaction score
38
Location
Queanbeyan, NSW
WalnLiz said:
Snakes and me have an "Understanding",...you leave me alone...I'll leave you alone. To date they have always kept their side of the bargain and generally been an asset....as they seem to be extremely good at "Crowd control". :D

Might have to take a few fake ones out to the Forde :eek:
 
G

Guest

Guest
December 2012: An inner-suburban Adelaide Family was shocked to find a 1 metre long brown snake happily curled up under the baby seat in the back of their family car.

The family believes the snake may have been hiding in some copper pipes they transported in the car the previous week. The serpent obviously preferred the relative opulence of the back seat of the family car, and decided to stay along for the ride.

It was only by chance that the childs mother noticed a small amount of movement under the seat, causing her to look closer. I felt physically ill, she said.

A snake catcher was called in and the entire back seat had to be removed to retrieve the unlucky serpent.
 
Joined
Sep 8, 2014
Messages
179
Reaction score
171
Yes it's that time of the year again, seen three browns in fifty meters of gully this arvo.
 
Joined
Apr 16, 2013
Messages
3,012
Reaction score
1,689
Location
Sydney, NSW
I want to find or make snake gaitors that come above my knees

If walking up steep terrain the snake could be at my thigh height so these knee high ones would be only 50 % reliable

I have snakeguardz already but might get some of these snakeprotex things to add above the knee if they wont sell me some of the fabric

has anyone seen gaitors that come higher than the average 40 - 45 cm ?

a big snake can rear up 2 - 3 feet :/
 

AngerManagement

Repairs + X-pointers
Site Sponsor
Joined
Aug 31, 2014
Messages
1,178
Reaction score
1,793
Location
4030, QLD
Local vinnies has a pair of leg waders; the sort of thing that many trout fishing people might use.

Not sure of the size but would stop any snake bite, but could be a tad hot.

HeadsUp said:
I want to find or make snake gaitors that come above my knees

If walking up steep terrain the snake could be at my thigh height so these knee high ones would be only 50 % reliable

I have snakeguardz already but might get some of these snakeprotex things to add above the knee if they wont sell me some of the fabric

has anyone seen gaitors that come higher than the average 40 - 45 cm ?

a big snake can rear up 2 - 3 feet :/
 

Twapster

Peter
Joined
Oct 21, 2013
Messages
1,679
Reaction score
1,222
Location
Newman, WA
Just got back from my Windeyer gold scout, on my way in from Aarons Pass I stopped the car to make a phone call while in phone coverage, quickly stepped back in car after seeing a yellow belly black snake, never seen one that big before it was no joke as thick as my forearm just basking in the sun, had to look twice as it was more like a bloody anaconda. So when a skinny eastern brown sat in the middle of the road 5 mins later it was all over for me, my detecting trip was ruined...2 snakes in 5 minutes reduced my desire to go deep in the scrub this time. At camp I referred a few new prospectors to a good panning spot only to be told the next morning a guy had told them don't come down this way he'd seen several snakes and the last one was a 6-7 foot King Brown. I think it was at that point they understood why I was walking around in my army boots,neoprene's with snake gaiters. Might have seemed like overkill but stepping in the wrong spot is not the way I wish to go out of this world! Several dead snakes on the road so be careful they are bloody everywhere at the moment.
 
Joined
Apr 16, 2013
Messages
3,012
Reaction score
1,689
Location
Sydney, NSW
AngerManagement said:
Local vinnies has a pair of leg waders; the sort of thing that many trout fishing people might use.

Not sure of the size but would stop any snake bite, but could be a tad hot.

HeadsUp said:
I want to find or make snake gaitors that come above my knees

If walking up steep terrain the snake could be at my thigh height so these knee high ones would be only 50 % reliable

I have snakeguardz already but might get some of these snakeprotex things to add above the knee if they wont sell me some of the fabric

has anyone seen gaitors that come higher than the average 40 - 45 cm ?

a big snake can rear up 2 - 3 feet :/

probability is that 4mm neoprene waders would stop ~ some snake bites

brown snakes however have fangs up to half an inch long.

i would prefer to bring the odds above 90 % or 100 %

50 % is not good enough for me
 

WalnLiz

Wal nLiz
Joined
Jan 20, 2013
Messages
3,527
Reaction score
2,547
Location
Australia, NSW
Most venomous snakes do not inject their venom through hollow fangs, and in fact have groves beside their fangs, down which the venom flows upon striking.

A snake with half inch fangs may pierce the inside of the 4mm neoprene, but the majority of the venom would be absorbed by the outside of the neoprene and not reach the puncture wound.

I still say long loose clothing will be more protection than a standard snake gaiter 99% of the time.. coupled with keeping ones eyes on the ground in front of them. If the other 1% is a concern, then venturing out in the winter...or migrating to NZ where there is no snakes would be the only other option. :D
 
Joined
May 14, 2014
Messages
553
Reaction score
155
WalnLiz said:
Most venomous snakes do not inject their venom through hollow fangs, and in fact have groves beside their fangs, down which the venom flows upon striking.

A snake with half inch fangs may pierce the inside of the 4mm neoprene, but the majority of the venom would be absorbed by the outside of the neoprene and not reach the puncture wound.

I still say long loose clothing will be more protection than a standard snake gaiter 99% of the time.. coupled with keeping ones eyes on the ground in front of them. If the other 1% is a concern, then venturing out in the winter...or migrating to NZ where there is no snakes would be the only other option. :D

12 GAUGE PUMP. ;)
 
Top