snakes are out and about

Twapster

Peter
Reaction score
Bugger, going out this weekend and the one thought that was in my head is ....snake season approaching! It seems the browns love to come near the side of the road in spring. Just cant seem to outgrow my phobia, I hear any rustle and think the worst!

Reaction score
Twapster said:
Bugger, going out this weekend and the one thought that was in my head is ....snake season approaching! It seems the browns love to come near the side of the road in spring. Just cant seem to outgrow my phobia, I hear any rustle and think the worst!

Feet - do your thing. :lol: damn pesky critters. funny , they are protected and we aren't ? :eek:
years ago when I used do some shooting, I have had snakes come after me, mbe young nearby. saw a group of tigers, 4-5 stand on their tails like cobras and bark like a small dog. they heard us coming but weren't gonna move.

Reaction score
I was in the whipstick recently walking through some loose sticks and kicked a stick out of my way.
The bloody stick somehow snagged on another stick making the other stick swing around behind me tapping me in the back of my leg.

I got air for the next 3 meters nearly had to change my jocks.

I remember when i was a kid on the dairy farm in Gippsland and watching dad running for his life up the track from the dairy.......Big yellow boots and shorts.......Big tiger snake chasing him lol..dad was never the same after that.

AngerManagement

Repairs + X-pointers
Site Sponsor
Reaction score
We hunted rabbets the same way but using ferrets....

Problem was getting the ferrets to come out, if they happened upon a few kits...

Crackers were always a handy tool, but alas are no longer so easily obtained.

Reaction score
I can handle snakes they dont bother me one bit, but spiders make me scream like a little girl :)

vic

Reaction score
Going to Sofala on Wednesday hope they stay away from me never seen one while prospecting :eek:

Reaction score
There is a red belly black resident at Coles Bridge. Right where people have been digging into the bank of the Turon at the southern end of where the car park / camping area is.
It was happy sunning itself right next to the waters edge in plain view when I saw it 2 weeks ago.

G

I bloody hate snakes.

This one time, I was under my mums house in cairns checking for termites for her. Crawling along on my belly I came face to face with a taipan.
I can tell you all I near on stood up through the bloody floor boards, smacked my head and backed out quicker then the flash.

Claret pouring from my head, heart pounding and near on shite myself.

So yeah, I hate snakes.

kawman

steve wardle
Reaction score
my old prospecting mate is an old abo elder.. he has eaten snakes, crocks and lizards ect... And likes snake meat a lot... I am sure he will kill any he sees in a flash and dig a hole to cook it in.. :/ he says he doesn't need a prospecting licence to be on his tribes land and will dig a hole anyplace he likes and hunt where he likes........ :|

XIV

Kane
Reaction score
Im in fnq
There always out and about
Red belly blacks are the least of my worries
It's the brown, king brown and the taipans that you need to watch out for

Reaction score
Last week at native dog creek I seen a huge tiger snake sitting in the middle of a walking trail

WalnLiz

Wal nLiz
Reaction score
Snakes and me have an "Understanding",...you leave me alone...I'll leave you alone. To date they have always kept their side of the bargain and generally been an "asset"....as they seem to be extremely good at "Crowd control". :D

Reaction score
From yesterdays Dunolly Welcome Record (community newsletter). As always, take care in the forests - avoid moving dead-fall, old tins of metal sheeting (heaps about), take care at the dams.

SPRING SIGNALS SNAKE SEASON
The arrival of spring weather in the Loddon Mallee region means that people are getting outdoors at the same time that snakes are starting to become more active.
Department of Environment and Primary Industries (DEPI) Wildlife Officer Glenn Smith said that snakes are emerging from their winter hibernation to bask in the sun
and to search for food and a mate. The recent sunny weather also means more people are spending time in their gardens or in parks and forests,
Mr Smith said. So as people and snakes become more active it is quite possible theyll encounter each other while enjoying the outdoors.
Eastern Brown Snakes are most common in the north west of the state, with the occasional Tiger Snake or Red Bellied Black Snake encountered around wetlands,
creeks and rivers. These three species are all dangerously venomous.

Latest posts