Snake sightings, encounters and reminders.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In Vic has anyone seen one like very recently.

I feel like its ripe time they start to riggle out of their holes.

ive been busy already, last week 2 red bellies and a python and then tues gone another red belly over at rainbow beach, as soon as they said Rainbiow i knew it was going to be big as ive only caught big reds over there..it was about 5ft 8 but around 3 inches thick and i had to get it out of an engine bay..not keen about sticking my fingers under the bonnet looking for the catch but had to be done and there it was coiled on the air filter waiting for me.. funny thing was i had hold of its tail in one hand while it was trying to get away and had hold of the bonnet with the other and also 2 screaming men behind me..anyway got it out safely and bagged it...not the best photos but in the second pic the snake was about 7 feet away from the bag so should descibe its size a bit better..

Attachments

• rainbow4.jpg
    rainbow4.jpg
    449.3 KB · Views: 2
  • rainbow2.jpg
    rainbow2.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 2
  • rainbow3.jpg
    rainbow3.jpg
    1,005.9 KB · Views: 1
Are the pythons aggressive and do they try to bite you?

I don't think any snakes go out of their way to try & bite you (despite what some will tell you) but it always seems to be those trying to catch or kill that get bitten:

Armed with 80 backward facing teeth a bite from a large Carpet Python has the capacity to cause substantial lacerations and punctures. In one instance a snake catcher arrived at a Brookfield home only to find a male resident who attempted to capture a 3 metre Carpet Python had been bitten on the hand and was bleeding profusely. The bite had severed a major artery in the back of the hand and caused severe lacerations. A lengthy microsurgery was required. The power of these snakes should not be underestimated and the damage large specimens can cause to pets or people should always be considered.
snakecatcherbrisbane.net.au
The numerous backward facing teeth in pythons are designed to hold prey so it can't escape while constricting it. Personally I wouldn't like one latching onto me.

In Vic has anyone seen one like very recently.

I feel like its ripe time they start to riggle out of their holes.
This nice specimen was on the Camp Rd, Whipstick a couple of days ago. Had been hit by a car. I stopped to take a photo as it looked dead, then it moved its head!

Attachments

• IMG_2273.JPG
    IMG_2273.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 1
Are the pythons aggressive and do they try to bite you?
some give me a bit of a tussle but most are perfectly fine..i find the bigger they are the more of a puppy dog they can be..the only python that ive found to be an active biter is a spotted python, ive caught a couple of them now and theyve all been absolute mongrels and i walk away with blood all over me from the bites..shits of things...lol...

I don't think any snakes go out of their way to try & bite you (despite what some will tell you) but it always seems to be those trying to catch or kill that get bitten:

The numerous backward facing teeth in pythons are designed to hold prey so it can't escape while constricting it. Personally I wouldn't like one latching onto me.
most def, they wont go out of there way to bite you thats for sure and alot of the snakes that ive caught havent tried to bite me at all either.. 98% of bites are from people trying to catch or harm the snake, its that high and alcohol holds the top spot still...of all the python bites ive had most of them theres not much pain but your right theres plenty of blood...i had a 9 ft olive python bite my hand and wouldnt let go, i had to sit there with it biting down and wit for him to let go..after a little while he didnt let go so i had to squeeze water from a water bottle into his nose to get him to let go, the teeth from him must have hit a vein or something cos there was plenty of blood about, the owner of the snake was the only person panicking that day, it was quite funny telling him its alright hell let go and getting him to just sit and relax..what was funny was the snakes name is knuckles and he def had mine in his mouth....it was a pet snake and theyd been feeding him by hand which is a massive mistake as it teaches them every hand has food and i found that out alright..the owner had a phobia of snakes and bought him to get himself over it and well olives grow real big as knuckles did and i was the only person handling with every visit otherwise hed just sit in the tank..its a shame but he wouldnt be the only snake that grew too big for the owner to handle..

Last edited:
My brother got bitten by a green tree snake near Brisbane when we were kids. He kept it a secret because he knew he'd be in trouble for playing with it. That was the same, it bled a lot.
they dont have any fangs just alot of teeth hence all the blood, the one thing the do have is the worst smelling fart..its horrid..

Latest posts