Snake Bite Kits and bandages

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbasko

Matt
Moderating Team
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good snake bite kit available here:
https://survivalfirstaid.worldsecuresystems.com/shop/first-aid-kits/snake-bite-kit
Pretty good value considering the smart bandages are around $20 each. Handy pack that can attach to your belt/harness/backpack etc.
Ordered one this morning to replace/update mine after it got wet. Was looking for some smart bandages & found it. Pre-orders only at the moment with shipping due 19th Aug.
:Y:

That is indeed a good price mate, thanks for posting.

On the smart bandages, we had/have normal compression bandages in our kits and vehicles.
After I tended to an 8 year old that got bitten by a snae some time ago, the paramedics just bandaged over my bandage, and said we'd done a good job with the compression. I said, yeah, I was monitoring his toes all the time for swelling etc.
Any way he showed me one of the bandages and said, hey all guesss work gone....
I agreed and now have them in our kits too.
Quite dear, but you can get them sub $20 if you look around. And like really, whats $20 when youre dealing with a snake bite....

I've got a couple of the snake bite bandages, but might grab this just for the car/house when we move rural.

Good looking bit of kit I'll suss it out a bit more if it fits the bill I'll grab a few.

Not a bad looking kit at all. We get a lot of Brown snakes and whilst we have plenty of bandages in the first aid kit would be good to have something like this ready to grab in the event someone does get bitten. Quick and easy with no thinking about what you need required, no tipping the first aid kit upside down looking for what you need while in a panic.

Bloody hell. I didn't even check postage cost. Not surprised though the way some people gouge you on the postage.
Thanks for letting us know. Some times the good deals aren't as good as they first look.

I bought a couple of snake bite kits from the snakeman, he travels Australia doing the 4wd shows and has a large tent where he shows you the types of snakes likely to be encountered in the bush , and his kits are $10 in a bright orange pack with the pressure or elastic bandage inside but he sells out real quick at the shows, think he comes from queensland

thought i would add an update to this thread
these kits are used by some mining comnpanies in remote areas. It includes snakebite bandages
K55 High Risk Remote Area First Aid Kit Softpack
currently on sale at $147.00 (down from $245.00) not cheap but is a good kit
https://firstaidkitsaustralia.com.a...MIoYWQ997s4AIVxg0rCh0zNAv6EAQYBCABEgJY9vD_BwE
then theres this one, a bit more affordable, & compact enough to hook on your belt or backpack
https://www.survivalfirstaidkits.net.au/snake-bite-kit

also an update on the snakebite 'smart bandages' (they have rectangles that stretch to square when the right pressure is applied)
now $19.95 ea, so a kit that includes 1 or 2 can make these better value
https://www.survivalfirstaidkits.net.au/shop/first-aid-accessories/smart-snake-bandage

thinking about easter camping & found an interesting bit on snake repellents.
http://www.wildlifeanimalcontrol.com/homemade-snake.html
Interesting tip I never knew (from the above)
"Snake Repellants for the Home - One such natural snake repellent can be made by mixing equal amounts of freshly smashed garlic and rock salt. Sprinkle the mixture around the house or around the area where you do not want the snakes to enter. If you have a severe problem with snakes slithering up around your home all of the time, you can use a handful of the garlic and rock salt mixture to throw at the head of the snake. This will cause the snake to lose consciousness; it will not kill it. However, you must still be very careful in removing the snake as the time period for which it will remain unconscious cannot be predicted and varies from one snake to another."
You would have to be fairly close to accurately land a good amount on its head ... I don't think I will try that! :skull:

Are we talking about snakes or vampires DD?? :)

I bought a couple of the smart snake bite bandages and I stash them in the old battery pouch around the back on the Minelab Harness. I realized once I had bought a control box cover from Double D that had the battery compartment on the side, that I had some extra room to store stuff. I keep my Prospecting Licence and two snake bite bandages in it just in case I get bitten either way :argh:

I know you guys favour elasticated bandages to a apply compression wraps in the event of snakebites...

Normal crepe bandages are not really up to the job but the recommended elasticated compression bandages can be fairly expensive especially if say you want a couple in several kits maybe for each family member for instance.

While a medic in the Army Reserves I came across a product called Sports Wrap by a company called HyHealth...it's actually a vetinary product meant for horses and it is elasticated bandage/tape that comes in 10cm x 4.5m rolls.

It sort of sticks to itself and we used it a lot for strapping up sprains ect...it's far better than crepe and far cheaper than say Setopress but it does lack the printed rectangles to indicate the correct pressure.

Since leaving the Reserves, i tend to keep a couple of rolls in various first aid kits, and while repacking one today, it struck me it might be useful for you guys..

We have similar horse bandages here, but they are a bit thicker & heavier than those intended for people, & might be a bit tricky to get the right compression (you dont want it too tight & cut off blood flow).
The rectangle-square printed snake-bite bandages are expensive in comparison, but for those interested they can be found here for a bit under $10 each ($55 for 6 of the large);
https://www.solutionsmedical.net.au...ath=18&product_id=3493&sort=pd.name&order=ASC
or here for $9.90 each
https://www.thefirstaidshopau.com.au/product/snake-bite-bandage/
there otrher places that market them too.

I use these. I carry 2.
1591078480_setopress-bandage-squares.jpg

Called Setopress bandage. They have printed alternate green/brown rectangles spaced along the length of the bandage.

When you stretch the bandage the green rectangles become square and the correct tension for snake bite. If you stretch a little more the brown rectangles become square and give the correct tension for a "bleed" pressure bandage. So multi use......

Specs - When stretched correctly the rectangles become squares which provide over 30mmHg (brown square) and 20mmHg (green square) of pressure. They are 3.5 M long unstretched and will do an entire limb

The biggest issue medicos have found is improper application of bandages used in first aid, as many people just don't know. These take away the guess work.

condor22 said:
I use these. I carry 2.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...1932/1591078480_setopress-bandage-squares.jpg
Called Setopress bandage. They have printed alternate green/brown rectangles spaced along the length of the bandage.

When you stretch the bandage the green rectangles become square and the correct tension for snake bite. If you stretch a little more the brown rectangles become square and give the correct tension for a "bleed" pressure bandage. So multi use......

Specs - When stretched correctly the rectangles become squares which provide over 30mmHg (brown square) and 20mmHg (green square) of pressure. They are 3.5 M long unstretched and will do an entire limb

The biggest issue medicos have found is improper application of bandages used in first aid, as many people just don't know. These take away the guess work.

Same for me. I have several sets, cost is no object when a life may be at risk. But I have found that none of the first aid courses that I have done in the last few years used them, although the most recent one did point out to the class that they were available.

Rob P.

Latest posts