Smart Phones

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok, so in many ways this has nothing to do with metal detector accessories, but for me it has everything to do with detecting.

I've been using old school flip/clamshell phones for some years now. Not because I'm a complete technophobe (I'm only partially so!), but because I can easily fit them in the coin pocket of my jeans, and the fact that every second phone that people get out for me to scan in the shop has a smashed or cracked screen.

I'm terrible with phones, I drop mine quite often it seems, and most of the glass screened Rosetta Stone sized screen offerings that I see online would be useless to me when detecting or up a ladder working.

Finally, since Covid has come along and me having had both my jabs, I now need something that will allow me to check in using QR codes, and also allow me to download and save a vaccine passport, none of which the old clamshell phones will let me do. A half decent Camera is about the only other requirement that I need in a phone.

Does anybody know of/ or use a modern smart phone that is both strong and not flimsy, and is capable of fitting into a small pocket without bending or breaking/cracking easily?

Thanks in advance,

-D.S

I use the Toughmax 3 on Boost mobile as it works on a Telstra locked phone. It's a solid built phone.

The big plus is, that it is the only smart phone with an external antenna connection sold in Oz. Where I camp when prospecting, the antenna is the difference between no signal and signal enough for calls and using it to WiFi hotspot it to my laptop with 4G. :)

Ds Mate has a Tough Max 2 (T85) with aerial connection( Mobile phone aerial on roof of his patrol and one top of his TV aerial on the caravan for when in remote bush) me ditto but with a T81 ( not a smart phone so have an S9 Samsung Smartphone). The T85 can be purchased on ebay for around $199 with some warranty against the higher cost of the Tough Max 3 (T86).

https://www.gizmochina.com/product/zte-tough-max-2/

Ds Mate has a Tough Max 2 (T85) with aerial connection( Mobile phone aerial on roof of his patrol and one top of his TV aerial on the caravan for when in remote bush) me ditto but with a T81 ( not a smart phone so have an S9 Samsung Smartphone). The T85 can be purchased on ebay for around $199 with some warranty against the higher cost of the Tough Max 3 (T86).

https://www.gizmochina.com/product/zte-tough-max-2/

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/174915067609

I may have mentioned this on the forum before, but....lol.

A couple of years ago, I was looking at the Samsung J5 from a well known online retailer that had a dual SIM capability. I queried Samsung help on their site as it did not show and was told that Samsung Australia do not import the dual SIM version. On asking, they told me it was likely a European model that the retailer buys in from an overseas wholesaler, not from Samsung. I was also told that as such Samsung Australia do not warrant or repair them. The warranty is with the retailer and good luck with that if they send it overseas for a fix, plus you are likely responsible for all postage and shipping.

I would be confident is saying that many mobiles available from the WWW mentioned, including ZTE may have similar origins. It's a personal choice, but if something is cheap, there may be a good reason you don't know.

Given Telstra no longer sell the Tough Max 1 or 2 and note it as discontinued, due diligence should be exercised as to the actual source and what the warranty conditions are.

:)

Latest posts