Small scale mine make money?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well done Im sure you will work it out if you are a bit weary about it put the bowl in a bowl and then the glass all the best muk I live in Newman if its ok when I travel south I might try to catch up and meet you if thats ok love what your doing trying to convince my missus to do something similar all the best cheers muk.

If you're in Victoria, note that you can't get a prospecting licence (which allows for the sort of small scale mining you're talking about) over an area that already has an exploration licence (or application) or mining licence on it. So you need to check if where you're currently prospecting (I know, same word used for different things) has an EL on it. There's a good chance it does if you're in good prospective country. Trust me. I work for an exploration company.

https://earthresources.vic.gov.au/l...es-of-practice/prospecting-licence-guidelines

GeoVic is your friend - add the current exploration and mining licence layers to your area of interest.

Or... wink wink, you can tell me where it is and I pinky promise not to slap a huge EL over your area on behalf of my company. Actually I can't promise that. I probably would hahaha

Muk said:
Well done Im sure you will work it out if you are a bit weary about it put the bowl in a bowl and then the glass all the best muk I live in Newman if its ok when I travel south I might try to catch up and meet you if thats ok love what your doing trying to convince my missus to do something similar all the best cheers muk.

PM sent...

Jaros said:
That s a good mornings work. :clap:

What I'm trying to say is that you can keep it as a very small operation. Even if it's a decent rich orebody that my possibly make some big company a lot of money the little prospector can be just that "little". Keep it simple and enjoy owning a gold mine :)

UnderEmployedGeo said:
If you're in Victoria, note that you can't get a prospecting licence (which allows for the sort of small scale mining you're talking about) over an area that already has an exploration licence (or application) or mining licence on it. So you need to check if where you're currently prospecting (I know, same word used for different things) has an EL on it. There's a good chance it does if you're in good prospective country. Trust me. I work for an exploration company.

https://earthresources.vic.gov.au/l...es-of-practice/prospecting-licence-guidelines

GeoVic is your friend - add the current exploration and mining licence layers to your area of interest.

Or... wink wink, you can tell me where it is and I pinky promise not to slap a huge EL over your area on behalf of my company. Actually I can't promise that. I probably would hahaha

If the EL company hasn't done work in that area in the last year or not planning to cant you get ERR to approve it?? That's what I have been told

Moneybox said:
The only way to work out if your small scale mine is making money is to calculate your income against your expenses. Then of course it makes a difference if your are enjoying the hobby or trying to make a living from it.

My tonnage rate is lousy compared to this but it's my hobby. I do have a lot of money invested in it so I need to get a return but I don't have to satisfy investors or cover overheads. We all need physical and metal challenges and activity to keep alive and healthy so depending of your circumstances it could be fun or enough to bury you.

I'm just putting together a little bit of poorly filmed video to give you an idea of my little operation. I'm getting about 0.2g per tonne at the moment but I come home by morning tea with dust in my beard and a smile on my face. My direct outlay is 5L of petrol and 20L of diesel as long as I don't break something :)

[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/-EBqdoiKeec[/video]

Amazing stuff love it.

UnderEmployedGeo said:

That sucks. How can the small miners get there foot in the door if these big companies an EL over the whole state.

What company do you work for??

Moneybox said:
Jaros said:
That s a good mornings work. :clap:

What I'm trying to say is that you can keep it as a very small operation. Even if it's a decent rich orebody that my possibly make some big company a lot of money the little prospector can be just that "little". Keep it simple and enjoy owning a gold mine :)

Spot on.....Many years ago I was out bush with an experienced Geo showing him some tenements Lisa and I had at the time. After a day of licking rocks he said to me that the ground he has just seen is some of the best he has come across (greefields) and that I could easily float a company based on it. He wasn't joking and as Lisa and I were usually on the bones of our backsides prospecting I listened with great intent. He told me about the basics of the process....how he could help...what it would cost and what we should make. Then after a very long pause he said to me..."or.....you could sit here for the next ten years and quietly dig up the gold yourself....not have anyone to worry you and see how you go?"....or words to that effect. It was a pivotel moment for us....we could have easily chosen money and gone down the corporate prospector road (and maybe be a lot better off than we are now financially?) but we chose to work the dirt and have never looked back!

Jamesgold said:
UnderEmployedGeo said:

That sucks. How can the small miners get there foot in the door if these big companies an EL over the whole state.

I'm afraid I'm going to stay a little bit anonymous on here regarding who I work for.

You can get a PL with consent from the EL owner or after 2 years of the EL... so theoretically the trick would be to establish good relations with the EL owner... A lot can be achieved just through negotiation and it MAY be that a small scale mining operation would not interfere with the EL holder's exploration efforts - some surface deposits (alluvial) are simply not what the Explorer is looking for...

So don't fear the bigger guys (and most of us are not "big", we're just better funded than your average punter)

UnderEmployedGeo said:
Jamesgold said:
UnderEmployedGeo said:

I'm afraid I'm going to stay a little bit anonymous on here regarding who I work for.

You can get a PL with consent from the EL owner or after 2 years of the EL... so theoretically the trick would be to establish good relations with the EL owner... A lot can be achieved just through negotiation and it MAY be that a small scale mining operation would not interfere with the EL holder's exploration efforts - some surface deposits (alluvial) are simply not what the Explorer is looking for...

So don't fear the bigger guys (and most of us are not "big", we're just better funded than your average punter)

I have worked for a number of companies who simply agreed because it did not interfere with them (and because someone asked us). Don't ever be afraid to ask. Some became small mining operations.

Latest posts