Slime

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moneybox

Philip & Sandra Box
Reaction score
When heading south to Perth we stopped for lunch a Jibberding Nature Reserve. I did my usual check by carefully touching each wheel hub with the back of my hand. Any rise in temperature is a potential problem. While doing so I noticed a line of what appeared to be grease running through the LH rear wheel arch. There shouldn't be any grease there so I thought perhaps it came from the LH front CV/hub and decided to check out that wheel bearing once we arrived in Perth.

1601368913_slime2.jpg

I forgot until yesterday I noticed the tyre looking a little deflated. After contemplating that for a while I realised that it was the green slime (puncture protection) leaking from the tyre its self.

1601369110_repair1.jpg

With a little help from Mrs M holding the CB radio while I reversed we located a very rusty nail in the tread.

1601369194_repair2.jpg

Fortunately we carry almost anything needed for a repair on the go.

1601369253_repair3.jpg

It didn't take too long to pull the nail and clean the hole.

1601369305_repair4.jpg

It took all my strength to force the repair plug through the steel tread layer but at least the repair is complete.

1601369392_repair5.jpg

These days they consider these plugs as a temporary repair but as long as only one plug is used they seem to stay put for the life of the tyre.

1601369598_slime.jpg

I'm not too confident on the performance of the Slime. We used to use Bitron that we marketed for a while. It was an excellent puncture sealant but we can't buy it anymore.

I tried some slime after being told how "awesome it is" Total WOFTAM.
Shearers glue works heaps better.

Edit: WOFTAM=Waste of time and money.

Could Slime or similar give you a false sense of security ie all is right, when you could have not 1 but 2 or 3 nails in your tyre.

I use a TPMS system on the Cruiser and Tandem caravan and this system has saved me many tyre problems over the years, but do use slime in our e bike tyres.

Slime is good for sealing small leaks around the beed of a rim and nothing else.
Those plugs last the life of the tyre if done properly.
I even have multiple plugs in my motorbike tyres.
Have used them for years and never had any issues.
Don't know why they were made illegal to use . :Y:

When we first bought Sandra's little Honda quad we had Double G's puncturing the tyres over and over again. After the first trip I would have inserted at least six or eight plugs. The original tyres are so thin that the plug doesn't have much to grip in so when we got home I dug out some old Bitron tyre sealant and added 200ml to each tyre. She's been out there roaming about for years now on the same tyres and I rarely need to add air. That product was brilliant but that was marketed 20 years ago and is no longer marketed here. I think the Slime is just a poor copy.

I feel for ya MB as I had a similar issue, ah sort of. You see I was mowing my lawn on the Rover and I ran over a Bougainvillea thorn which pierced the tire. Briggs and Stratton Rex Tire Repair. Worked like a charm till I ran over another thorn. Good thing it came in a litre bottle.
Mackka
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts