Skidplate and coil tape - information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After I see a video of the Eyespy connected to a GPX I will probably buy one. FOr now I can see a little problem with the wires connected to the Eyespy coming out straight, with the connectors at 90degrees would be less chance to damage them or to rip them out in thick bush.

I would like to hear from someone that is using one on an Garrett ATX or at least see/hear a video of same.

Sorry Flatlander I'm having a bit of trouble trying to decifer what you're asking. Can you elaborate a bit more what tape your speaking of, are you asking about the rolls of coil tape that holds the skid plates on or something else.

nugget finder sell it its black in colour i use to seal around coil so it stops the dirt getting in between the machine coil and wear pad
1552462747_15524627177613347631037414841866.jpg

Yep I know what you mean now :Y: I'm not sure where you could buy in bulk, does the inside cardboard roll have a name /print on it that you could research on the net. I've got a couple of rolls the same as the size you've posted, not sure why they price it as they do but I'm thinking you could buy in bulk. Hopefully someone else chimes in with the answer your after.

I'll check mine out in the next few days and come back to if no one else does.

Flatlander said:
The black tape that they sell why so dear can buy it bulk or a bigger role ?.?

This category is for Epic Prospecting Projects
Not great for the size of tapes ;)

Someone help Flatlander where best to post this please .

Good Auto electrical places sell propper lead based black insulation tape.
you get what you pay for when it comes to gaffa tape. :eek:

the way I see it is, the tape sold by prospecting supplies/shops is just good quality cloth tape, at a "marked up price".
It needs to be fairly tough, a good adhesive that is still easily removed, & importantly transparent to EMF.
I think any good quality cloth tape fills this criteria, & I use Bear Brand with no issues. Ive even tried the PVC duct tape with no apparent effect on performance, but it doesn't stay stuck down like the cloth tapes.
https://www.bunnings.com.au/our-ran...VghiPCh3ZCgWiEAAYASAAEgLDG_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

sorry outback just spent about a hour on trying to look for a suitable tape ,then about another 2 trialing some others , then another 3hrs making a decision (six pack involed) ,it's turned into a epic project !, then i thought i ask someone that probably know more then me :lol: :lol: :lol: thanks lads for your comments" how little things big things grow"

diggit said:
Peko said:
I havent used any tape on my coils for years,no need for it

I disagree. If you get some iron oxide style dust building up inside the skid plate then ground noise will be the least of your worries.

You'll be in a straightjacket within hours lol :D :p :playful:

Put it this way I clean out my skid plate once maybe twice a year if its lucky and I go detecting nearly every weekend,like I said I havent used any tape for at least 7 years,the dirt that does get in the skid plate is minimal,it actually annoys me when I go to clean it and there is stuff all in there, the countryside I live in is iron oxide sand with hematite and magnetite hills,you cant get any more iron minerals than that and I have never had a problem.

Minelab actually recommend leukosilk but it only comes in 12.5mm, 25mm or 50mm x 5m? Never tried it. Minelab also warn that some carbon based insulation tapes can slightly reduce coil sensitivity. I've also read that some other medical tapes containing zinc oxide can also reduce sensitivity.
You can get rolls of 19mm cloth adhesive tapes on eBay by buying 2 or more cheaply (i.e. ~<$5 per roll) but don't know what the quality is like?
The last roll I got from a detector shop was given to me free with a coil purchase - that roll must have lasted me a couple of years so don't know that I would buy in bulk. Need to get some more - it comes in handy for more than just sealing up coil covers to.
Might try a couple of rolls off fleabay & see what they're like?

Latest posts