Sintered Lap revisited.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just thought Id update on the sintered lap I decided to buy. I ended up getting the one from Anthony Rough2Cut. Originally I asked for a 6 inch #600 grit lap but he recommended an #800. Although skeptical I took his advice and Im glad I did.

A few weeks later it arrived looking like a lap does round, flat with a hole in the middle. I thought Id try it out a large hunk of created Sapphire. Roughed it out on whatever lap it is I had thought it was a #600 but now doubt it.
I then chucked on the sintered, spun it up to over 2000 RPM. The vibration was absolutely minimal. Apart from my solid copper it is probably the best balanced lap I have and that includes the latest and greatest merican gear.

Anyway stone to lap. Hooooolllly cow!!!! That lap eats corundum for breakfast. And as smooth as. In fact, it left in a bit of a conundrum with my corundum :D . Do I go to a #1200 before the #3000 prepolish or go straight to #3000? I settled to go straight to #3000. Absolutely no problem to do the prepolish. Next time Im going to try from the sintered to an #8000 prepolish.

Anyway heres the evidence. I just thought Id give R2C a bit of a wrap for anyone else who is considering buying a sintered lap. Dont know the bloke and never met him and doubt I will but he makes an awesome sintered lap. And for a very cheap price too. The only other one I know that is similarly priced has had mixed reports.

Apparently the back of this lap can be charged with a your choice of prepolish diamond mix as well. I haven't tried it yet, so can't say much about it.

In short. One awesome lap worth every cent. I hope this helps, either way, anybody considering buying a sintered diamond lap.

1472810611_machined_laps.jpg

He also machined a few laps for me. Excellent job at a very reasonable price. The Diamatrix came up perfect.

1472810742_roughed_out.jpg

Here's the rough after being preformed with what I thought was a #600 topper. Not so sure now.

1472810887_sintered.jpg

This is how well the Rough2Cuts sintered lap cut. . As you can see the finish is awesome.

1472811243_comparison.jpg

The perfect frosted finish, along side mainly prepolish #8000 grit - This pavilion is still in the making.

Ha ! Don't post that on the American forums ! They don't tolerate anything that isn't , say , American ? Epic laps I can't live without , but over there you are just ignored . I'm waiting for my 800 too , have two 1200 that work fine , very fine , copper and bronze based . But tony says I need a 800 , so I get one .

Latest posts