Shortest pack down

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I posted a thread two days ago seeking advice on short pack down detectors. It's been removed. By who or why i have no idea. But thanks to all those who have advice. OP copied below;

"Hi I'm looking for a detector that can pack down to approx 50cm. Had a bounty hunter before but it's kaput.Iknow it's a bit of an ask but if i could get something that i can carry on the plane like my old detector 'with' metal discrimination capability that'd be ideal. (I travel overseas detecting and only do carry on luggage)

Advice most welcome"

It seems that anything packing down that small is either low quality or expensive.That said i saw something about a telescopic lens for minelab 800's.Does anyone know if that will fit a 600 as well?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220425-105508_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220425-105508_Chrome.jpg
    365.1 KB · Views: 0
G’day Vina..... yes I also noticed the post was removed. There is some strange crap going on here atm. I’m quite peeved that when you go to the trouble of giving advice or info then poof, it vanishes with no explanation.
Anyway, to answer your question, the Nox 800 and 600 share the same shaft. so the telescoping one you saw should work.
Btw, This is my Nokta Makro Simplex + disassembled. The longest part is the carbon lower shaft at 60 cm. which could easily be shortened to reduce the overall packed down length. Or you could bag it up completely disassembled.
I’m thinking of actually selling this detector as I now have it’s big brother the Legend.
Would set you back about $600 complete with 3 coils, pinpointer and wireless headphones.A91E718A-7669-4CB5-BB5F-5824A24C2545.jpeg34FD4676-CC73-440E-BA75-56123049C431.jpeg

Yeah was bit dissapointed as i was starting to get somewhere lol. How would you shorten that 60cm shaft?

The upper shaft (aluminium) slides into the detector control box shaft and the lower (carbon fibre) shaft then slides inside the aluminium shaft, so yes they telescope inside each other and are length adjustable with easy to use camlocks...👌

Ok cool. Naturally i presume it has Iron discrimination?

I'm shorter than you by a few inches so that could work. How short would you say it would be if i hacked off the bits you reckon can be hacked (and presumably there's no issues doing so with the telescoping action?)

What coils and pinpointer do u have

Just measuring up, if you took 10 cm. off both shafts, then pack down length would be 50 cm.
The coils I have for the Simplex are the standard 11”round, 10”x5” as in pics and a 13” Detech Ultimate DD .
The pinpointer is a Nokta Pulse dive which is wirelessly compatible with the detector and wireless headphones, ie it seemlessly pairs with the headphones and turns the detector audio off when you action it.
Ps.... it is vlf with all metal discrimination.

Ok
Just measuring up, if you took 10 cm. off both shafts, then pack down length would be 50 cm.
The coils I have for the Simplex are the standard 11”round, 10”x5” as in pics and a 13” Detech Ultimate DD .
The pinpointer is a Nokta Pulse dive which is wirelessly compatible with the detector and wireless headphones, ie it seemlessly pairs with the headphones and turns the detector audio off when you action it.
Ps.... it is vlf with all metal discrimination.
Cool I'll give it some thought. Rather not need to hack n detector shaft but that could well be the only solution for the budget

All things considered abd after doing some research this looks like a feasible option. Last question, if i did lop the shafts to make the longed one 50cm for pack down...What then is the Max length once reassembled?
Ok

Cool I'll give it some thought. Rather not need to hack n detector shaft but that could well be the only solution for the budgetall l

After just checking the extended length would be around 115 cm.
I would also firstly check if the lower 60 cm. shaft would fit diagonally in your bag. If so it could be packed up completely disassembled.4C03236E-D029-4748-A18C-B535BADEE117.jpeg
Btw spare upper and lower shafts should not be expensive to purchase in the future if needed.

G’day Vina..... yes I also noticed the post was removed. There is some strange crap going on here atm. I’m quite peeved that when you go to the trouble of giving advice or info then poof, it vanishes with no explanation.
Anyway, to answer your question, the Nox 800 and 600 share the same shaft. so the telescoping one you saw should work.
Btw, This is my Nokta Makro Simplex + disassembled. The longest part is the carbon lower shaft at 60 cm. which could easily be shortened to reduce the overall packed down length. Or you could bag it up completely disassembled.
I’m thinking of actually selling this detector as I now have it’s big brother the Legend.
Would set you back about $600 complete with 3 coils, pinpointer and wireless headphones.View attachment 1173View attachment 1174
Ended up with nokta makro,trimmed about 7cm off it with hacksaw and didn't lose any functionality,packs down into my 51cm carry on bag.Spot on

Latest posts