SHARP Timing in GPX's

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhaseTech

Phase Technical
Site Sponsor
Reaction score
While looking for an old article, I was going through some old files and found a little thing I wrote for the release of the GPX-4500. Probably used in a Minelab Times newsletter, or a product press release or something. But thought it was interesting:

Q. Does the GPX-4500 go deeper than its predecessors?

A. Yes the GPX-4500 can go deeper due to a few factors.

1. The Stabilizer control allows the maximum amount of Rx Gain to be used whilst maintaining a smooth threshold

2. New SETA technology minimises the effects of magnetic soils and magnetic interference, which ensures maximum stability in all Timing options.

3. The new Enhance timing will punch deeper than Sensitive Smooth on small and large targets, yet still ignores most hot rocks and false ground signals.

4. Sharp timing is a more powerful version of Normal, and can be used in mild ground with a Monoloop coil, and also in medium ground with a DD.

5. The Deep and Boost audio types have been modified slightly for better performance.

6. The new Target Volume control allows you to boost faint target signals, and is a real plus for people suffering hearing loss, or for those who prefer to use low output under-chin style headphones.

All of these factors make for a very powerful detector!

After reading that, it was a good reminder about the tweaked Deep and Boost audio profiles. I'd kind of forgotten about that as I haven't used a GPX4000 in many years!

Also, a good reminder to not forget about Sharp timing. I know in the right ground it has some good punch.

Here's what I wrote in another more detailed release doc about Sharp:

The Sharp timing is more suited to mild soils such as white pipe-clay, schists, and some bedrocks, and will provide an improvement in depth and signal clarity compared to the Normal timing. In most goldfield soils with medium to high mineralisation, Normal will still be the preferred option, but because of the sharper audio response Sharp can still be used to pin-point or check a suspected deep target response.

Using Sharp as a target check is something I did early on, and kind of became a lost practise. I'm going to have to re-explore this!

Keen to hear what experience others have had with Sharp (4500 or 5000), and did anyone notice the difference in Boost between the 4000 and the 4500/5000??

hi Nenad, you make an interesting comment about the Deep/Boost audio profiles in the 4500 as compared to the 4000.
The sP01 Enhancer is great on my 4000. Does it somewhat replicate this function, given that it improves clarity & audibilty of those subtle sounds?

Ded Driver said:
hi Nenad, you make an interesting comment about the Deep/Boost audio profiles in the 4500 as compared to the 4000.
The sP01 Enhancer is great on my 4000. Does it somewhat replicate this function, given that it improves clarity & audibilty of those subtle sounds?

Similar, but different to the audio profiles. But tbh I've never really compared say Normal + sP01 to try and replicate Deep. Would be an interesting thing to play around with.

Personally I've never had a situation where I can make use of the sharp timing, but after thinking about it there are a few good spots where I can run sens extra with minimal ground noise (emi was controlling the gain setting) so I should give sharp a try over those patches just incase it might respond to a certain shape better than the other timings even of it doesnt get me more depth overall.

I also dont use the boost audio because while it sharpens the signal response it also sharpens the response to everything including ground noise and for me it makes it harder to distinguish, I run the standard audio(normal?) response and just use less stabilizer if I'm chasing the faint signals.
Having used a 4000 and my 4500 and often had them operating in the same areas I'd say the main advantage is enhance but only if the ground is really bad, and the stabilizer is a nice addition.
If the ground isnt too bad and both running sens extra I dont think I'd find any less if I had a 4000.

Latest posts