SDC2300 v SD2100

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi to everyone
Had a good learning curve today with my old sd and new sdc.I read the book on the old unit and must say I had forgot it all,mostly the the tune dial with the screw driver. I had found .48 gram of gold with the sdc and that being my test gold off I went toward the mineralised ground that we are used to.
I found it hard to set the tune once I had found the noisey direction (emf) waist high coil vertical routine.They say evan if you cant smooth the signal out it will be better. Think it ground balanced easier. The 8 inch mono was used and it was able to pick up the gold but not at good distance.I then tried lower channel only and I think it was better. Upper chanel was no good. The next was the 11 inch DD. It was no good. I am not saying the SD is in mint condition but I saw the setting range in the mix of different coils and noise to boot. Sometimes it is better to do what you researched,you learn or remember more.
I went to this area as it has com towers on a lot of the hills,noisey ground with a sample of gold from that area.
Till further notice this is the size if gold you get here and I wanted to tune in these conditions. I must say that that the SDC was aware of the emf and was unsteady on higher settings.
Step up the SDC, and it screams on all settings at the same distance I am reminded to use several settings for stable signal and I am glad to hear the signal tone that gold gives and educate my self on the different melow sound.
I am going to have the SD as the secondry machine for different size and depth targets. I think I can have the machine improved but need to find more gold and also switch between the channels and particularly check the digings of the SDC. Till they give me a 7000 this combo will go some way to being just that.

Well I hope you had as good a day as I did
Cheers
Brett

Bury a 10c coin at 35cm and see which machine does better :cool:

That half gram bit, is it smooth and waterworn or does it have some texture about it? The 2100 should have no problem picking up half grammers, but if they are reefy/porous then it will probably struggle. Anything under half a gram in mineralised soil, the 2300 will be superior on.

Your old SD will kill the SDC at depth with bigger targets. Those early machines were never meant to detect fly poop, but were pretty good on the big stuff. With each progressive PI they tweaked them to find ever smaller gold, but very little progress on big gold down deep.

Reg Wilson said:
Your old SD will kill the SDC at depth with bigger targets. Those early machines were never meant to detect fly poop, but were pretty good on the big stuff. With each progressive PI they tweaked them to find ever smaller gold, but very little progress on big gold down deep.
I'd like to see a depth test on the zed against a 2000 with a big coil running only in channel 1 on a big nug....I reckon the 2000 would give it a close run :)

kingswood said:
Reg Wilson said:
I'd like to see a depth test on the zed against a 2000 with a big coil running only in channel 1 on a big nug....I reckon the 2000 would give it a close run :)

I've got a SD2200d in Sydney if anyone wants to get together with their Zed and give it a go. I'd be keen to see how my old girl stacks up :argh:

Bear

In milder ground I'd back the SD's to go really well & hold their own.
As the ground gets more difficult or mineralised I'd expect the machines like the GPX/GPZ to start showing their advantage particularly if set up with settings that were usable over the ground not just for outright depth testing.
Obviously as gold size decreases they will also show their advantage over SD's on depth & on some bits even picking it up at all.

Latest posts