SDC2300 or GPX5000

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My budget stretches to a new SDC2300 or a used GPX5000 with extra coils etc. The SDC is very user friendly, the GPX involves a learning curve not really a worry as I see it. From my research the GPX would be allround more versatile. So for those that have used both ?????????.

Welcome aboard mate!
I actually have both, and love the combo.
You are right about the SDC, it's ease of turn on and go is unsurpassed.
It's ability to find those little pieces, missed by the other detectors.
Happy1,
Ditto, I have the same combo as Simmo.
Something you should also consider is whether you see yourself investing time and resources into the hobby as a long term interest.
I would also recommend the 2300 as nothing is more damaging to initial enthusiasm than lack of success. It also has good resale value should you decide prospecting is not for you or if you want to take your interest to the next level.

Hey Guys,
Awesome comments!!
Sorta slightly off topic, but maybe worthy of consideration??
A mate of mine, asked me for my opinion on what to buy detector wise and I basically said... SD2300 or 4000 up should be ok.
His budget didn't stretch that far and he messaged me from where he is working, out bush, asking for advice as to why he wasn't finding gold.
I asked what detector he was using.
"Yeah mate, got a bargain on a Minelab XT1700, $450! great machine, getting heaps of junk, just need gold!, can ya help?"

Not to be mean, but that was throwing $450 down the drain!

Happy 1,
Definitely the SDC, you have more chance kicking off in this "gold fever" environment without breaking your budget. **Don't be sucked into wasting money on extra coils.**
If you are a new prospector, or just starting out with a PI , my advice would be SDC 2300 and one of the coiltek 14x9 coils, so cover ground.
I have seen the 14x9 at work, and it's good. Check out posts by Glenn01.
From fly shit to 2.74 oz
When I started, I bought an mxt, then a tdi pro, then a 4500, then 7k then 6k! I wish I had of started with an sdc, then the 7000!

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/threads/beginners-luck.38610/

My view is it depends a lot on where you are based, and where you will be "Most" often be using it. If over in say NSW and short trips to say the Bathurst region or any region with small creeks or shallow diggings then the SDC would be my choice. Liz uses one exclusively and does very well following me with the 5000.

If however you venture to WA, the GT or Northern QLD as your main searching areas, where larger, deeper gold is encountered then the 5000 would be my choice. You don't need a heap of coils either...A Sadie, a 12" evo and a 17x 13 evo is the three coils I use Australia wide and you don't need any other coils in my opinion....some including myself have used really large coils for certain conditions but those conditions wouldn't relate to no more than 5% of your actual detecting. We run both and both have their pros and cons if compared to each other. Good luck with a difficult choice. ...Wal.

Last edited:
My two bobs worth, I had a great time and found a lot more gold than I ever thought I would with my 5000 combined with a 12inch Nuggetfinder coil using settings and advice from a very experienced professional. There is no way an SDC 2300 would have picked up some of the deeper pieces I found. I've used a 2300 and while they're light and easier to use than a 5000 they are not as good in my opinion. I sold my 5000 with a lot of accessories for $3500 and I'm glad it was my cousin Tim that bought it because he got a fantastic detector at a great price. Get a good second hand 5000.

Id have to say get a second-hand GPX5000 you'll have more options for coil sizes and can search for deeper and shallower targets at the change of the coil. It doesn't matter if you can't get a lot of coils with it as you can get something more specialized for smaller or larger deeper targets based on your results overtime. If it comes with a 11" DD or mono commander coil and a 12" evolution you pretty much setup to start. 11" is good if its an area with lots of EMI. 12" evolution tends to be noisy in EMI, If it has more coils bonus! so long as it cheap. 12" Evolution is a good-all-rounder. Both detectors you will still dig rubbish so just stay persistent and dig them all. If its out of warranty see if the seller will take you out for a test run just to be sure its running fine and can pickup metal. SDC is good for sniffing out easy gold you'll probably have a higher success rate with it but can often miss deeper pieces that can equal to 50 bits of SDC gold or more that the GPX can get in one hit. Also you can tweak settings on GPX for a more custom result for small coil and larger coil for better chance of getting smaller or larger targets.

If you do get a 5000, I would try to get one with a NF Sadie 8“x 6“ or Minelab Commander 8“ mono rather than too many larger coils.
That would give you easy (small - shallow) gold performance approaching a 2300 or 6000 using factory presets on the 5000.

Would the coil choices be the same with a GPX 4500? As the GPX 5000 As I have a second hand 4500 and yet to swing it and the types of coils has me a bit confused on what to use when

One of my detecting buddies runs the 4500 with the same coils I use on the 5000 and finds the same amount of gold as I do with it....so the answer is "Yes" 4500 and 5000 are pretty well the same machine apart from a couple of timings.

Would the coil choices be the same with a GPX 4500? As the GPX 5000 As I have a second hand 4500 and yet to swing it and the types of coils has me a bit confused on what to use when
Generally coils can be described as large 14' and upwards, standard 11" -12", and small 9' and less. Ellipticals as by their name suggests are a combination of different dimensions.
Use the standard coil if you do not know much about an area.
If you come across obviously shallow ground a small coil will excel.
Only use the larger coil when you feel that there is gold in deeper ground generally after you have found gold with either of the other two.
If you want to go for a wander and cover a larger search area easier use an elliptical coil with an appropriate sized long axis for quicker ground coverage.
These are very basic guidelines and as you gain experience factors like reading ground depth and the likely size of targets will become more readily apparent.

Latest posts