SDC Standard Coil V Coiltek Gold Extreme 10x5

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Just finished a bit of a test comparison between the SDC 8 standard coil and the Coiltek 10x5 Gold Extreme. Wanted to see how the two coils performed on a number of undug targets. Signals were detected about 6 weeks ago with the standard coil and targets were left untouched until both coils could be used for comparison purposes. Thought Id leave my views out of the equation and let people judge for themselves. Hope the clip is of use to some of you.

Cheers

Les
[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/-Qu5k6wbkhc[/video]

Hi Dignit,

It was just a simple swap of coils. No adjustment made to settings. Decided that using the same machine with the same settings was a more valid way of performing the test. I tried not to comment on the performance of each coil as I believe that is up to people who watch the clip. I will say however, that both coils are outstanding and each one will have advantages in different situations.

Cheers

Les

Great video Les the 10 X 5 looks to be a decent piece of armour to hang off the 2300 on target 4# for me anyway it seemed to give a better response than the standard 8# :Y: thanks for taking the time and sharing it with us :beer: :perfect:

Thanks Les, I have been holding off getting the new coil because there have been few positive comments on it posted. Good to see a real comparison which at least shows that it is equal if not a little better going by my perception of the vid.

Cheers
Bob

Great vid and good to see comparison with both coil on undug targets. For me I Did note a slight improvement on last target but didnt notice any change on others . Might just be me but still think there are many variables . Thankyou for the unbiased test . For me Ill be sticking with the standard ,still cant justify the mod ,dont like the cable on the outside and inconvenience of changing back to standard coil ,just a personal choice. Looking forward to a speaker volume mod and :koala: a switch between speaker and headphones so you dont have to unplug the bl..dy thing all the time . Cheers Booney. :D

Thanks RM and Bob. It was good fun playing with both coils. Wanted to see for myself as to how they would compare. The only way I could accurately do it was to film the process so that I could examine footage closely. Relying on memory would not have been accurate enough in my opinion. Bias could and probably would impact on findings. Itll be interesting just listening to other peoples comments and thoughts.

Cheers

Les

Thanks for your comments Booney. I agree that there are still too many variables - different ground, types of gold, depth variation, nugget size etc. Coil time on the ground and more testing will answer some of those grey areas. I know what you are saying about plugging and unplugging. A lot of the time Ill just use the inbuilt speaker if Im in a situation where the detector is being put down and picked up frequently. Not ideal but it stops the frustration. Having changed coils quite a few times now, I find it a quick and simple process. Probably takes me about 2 or 3 minutes longer than changing a gpx coil so its not the issue it once was.

Cheers

Les

Thanks for doing the test Les.

8:49 I'm just looking at the stress the coil cable is under. Try winding your cables over the top of the shaft instead of under, your coil cables will thank you for it.

Hi Nenad,

Just put it underneath to hold the cable straight and still while testing. Forgot to bring ties or Velcro with me. It was the first thing I fixed up when I got home. I was wondering if anyone would pick this up.

Definite small but noticeable bump in signal with the 10x5, to my ears at least (on all targets). If only it was waterproof! To me that's the deal breaker as I do a lot of detecting in the water. That and also the convenience of being able to fold it right up and into my backpack while I hike to my locations. I will still consider getting one though for when I go out into the dry goldfields. Great test, appreciate the thoroughness you've put into it! :perfect:

Latest posts