SDC QuickDraw Armrest

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wally69

Paul
Reaction score
Had my feet up for a moment today waiting for the rain to stop, watching my first batch of jerky dry and the thought of hitting Hill End again running wild.

The desire to be the fastest gold digger on the Common meant I needed to emulate my childhood hero, the Cisco Kid and develop a QuickDraw holster for my SDC.

For those with an SDC know that the 'arm in-arm out-arm in-arm out" action on heavily junked goldfields means one of two things, slow and tedious, or no strap and fatigue.

Anyway, as with most of my crazy ideas, some PVC and a heat gun were put into action and I am happy with the result.

1413790012_image.jpg

1413790057_image.jpg

The fit is very snug for summer detecting but it feels good and I think it will give me the quickest draw on the fields. If it trials well I will make a slightly bigger one to suit winter pancho or jumper sleeves.

I think I may now need to get some tassels for my hat to complete the ensemble.

Nice work there wally69,

I reckon if you sliced a stubby cooler long ways and glued it to the upper inside it might just offer a bit more cushioning against the sideways swing

:)

Oh dear cmark, that would be a criminal act to destroy such a useful object. :D

I have been trying to find an old wetsuit I had lying around but came across some marine carpet that should do the trick. I will fit some to a slightly bigger version or stop going to the gym, darn forearms are too big. This one is with 90 mm PVC, think I need to go up to 100mm.

A bit more tinkering today has the overturning sorted. Velcro on the bottom and some spring in the alloy works well but have a Velcro strap to go over the top if required. By mounting it at the front it produces 20mm ground clearance at the rear of the unit, so it should prevent a lot of scratches on the base of the unit.

1413957762_image.jpg

1413957889_image.jpg

Arm rest doesn't worry me ..... the number of targets (as opposed to actual gold) being dug doesn't see to warrant in that area.
However really like the simple 'stand' set up, may have to spend tomorrow bending a bit of aluminium.
Mine is also an embarrassment ... doesn't look anywhere near as clean as yours,
Cheers T.

ps may also be time clean out under the skid plate.