Sandwich Quartz

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all
Out having a little fossick on Saturday.
Decided to try in another area as my wife and 2 dogs could tag along and enjoy the bush.
Walking up a hill that started with small quartz and slowly got to car wheel size, in this area I found some of the quartz pictured.
After getting home I re-read ( for the umteenth time, great info) loamers posts and Im thinking maybe I should spend more time looking around this area.
Any thoughts?
Cheers Andy
1633843132_b1507c11-ef88-4cc2-9a6e-80cae380b28a.jpg

Could be gold in it . Looks to be leaders of quartz running off the main quartz body . Needs to be a gold area could be barren .

Just crush the quartz as fine as possible and then pan it . After wards crush the rock and then pan it , to see if there is any thing in it . That is what I would do .

Hi Andy
Just my 2 bobs worth in the Vic GT gold is typically with quartz, but not all quartz has gold.
What you are seeing in that rock is an eroded piece of rock that before erosion experienced multiple host rock fracture events where on each separate occasion hydrothermal fluids have pushed up under pressure into the cracks and as the fluid has risen its cooled and solidified as quartz. Each event has left a different deposit of quartz. This is very very common. Over and above such common events there needs to be the just right balance of fluid, pressure, heat and chemicals to make gold, and that just right recipe is much more rare than just the creation of quartz.
Whilst its a good sign I wouldnt get too excited until you find gold. Once youve found gold youll know that youre in a good spot that deserves more time detecting.
Good luck.
Digint aka Andy (another one :playful: )

Looks like a good indicator. If it was here in WA, I would definitely be checking out the spot. Good luck

Thanks all for you information. Made a quick dolly pot this week and will crush what I have and see. Will be defenetly walking up that area again to find more and it was lovely country with a great base camp.
Cheers Andy

Latest posts