Running Microwave from Inverter.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A 700watt microwave could be 100amps draw nominal on the battery. I wouldn't even be crazy enough to put that kind of load on a lifepo4 130ah.
But with an agm they suffer from Peukert, which means they are sluggish and the voltage sags massively under high current loads. The 130ah capacity rating is at 6.5amps constant current load, at such high loads the actual capacity will shrink ALOT.
Sadly I beat that isnt even a real 130ah, but the common exaggerated cheap stuff. Also if you want to put high loads on an agm you want something from a high performance brand which you pay through the nose, those cheap agms wont like it. You will most likely find the inverters low voltage protection will keep tripping, at extreme loads it should be set down to roughly 11v. Also cold temps lower performance, they put heating blankets on lifepo4, but they dont wanna do agm.

Goldduststeve said:
Another advantage is the amount of "Usable" power you get from your Lithium compared to AGM. AGM's only have roughly half of their capacity as usable power before you get drastic voltage drop. While Lithiums will keep their voltage high for , say, 90% of their capacity, hence, more "usable" power.
Next is cycle life ( charge/discharge). AGM's typically are only good for around 200 - 300 cycles ( depending on the quality of the AGM) whereas Lithiums range from around 2000 up cycles and the better brands have a 5 year warranty. They are generally about 3 times the price of a AGM, but with less weight, more available power and longer life span, I think they are worth the investment.
The main thing to consider is, what will you be using the system to run ? Will it be just to run a small bilge pump for water, or, will you be running serious stuff like fridges and some 240v gear as well in your camper trailer ?
With that in mind, you can either go for a cheap system to run the blige pump, or a more reliable (upmarket) system for reliability to run fridges etc.

I have been dabbling in solar systems etc for a few years now and happy to give advice to anybody who wants it.

Cheers,
Steve

The problem is this advice is mostly marketing spiel and full of errors :lol:

Since this is camping section,
Agm can supply power for fridges,lights, low power draw stuff down to around 80%DOD without much negative effects. Yes it's not the most healthy thing but most peoples batteries will expire long before their cycle life does them in. So translation, an agm can in many cases give almost the same usable energy. The extra usable power from the higher operating voltage is soo small you could easily offset it by opening the fridge a few times more each day. All proven by real world usage not marketing talk.
Speaking of cycle life without DOD is rather meaningless and dishonest. Entry level deep cycle agms are usually rated at 1000cycles to 50%dod. When you speak of lifepo4 cycle life you are of course just copy pasting what marketers are saying. Lifepo4 cycle life has not been proven in the real world and there are tests that show some of these brands of cells are alot worse than the glossy spiel.
The last part worded doesnt make any sense, well lifepo4 has been around for many years Mr solar expert, people run lots of stuff. I run 2-3 12v chest fridges, powerful lights, powerful 240v fans, industrial water pump drawing 9amps, laptops and external screens, hoards of torches, lanterns, headtorchs, a small portable induction cooker. One of my two portable systems cost me 10k not including the panels and genny. :cool:
:lol: we dont run a bilge pump. Why would we??? :/