Rules/Legislation for Metal Detecting in public parks, Canberra or ACT

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
HI, I am new to this forum and also to metal detecting. I often come to work in Canberra from Brisbane and I thought on my free time I could use my metal detector in a park. I understand that there can be rules and etiquettes for this sort of thing both on a public and government level. Try as I might I cannot find anything online about whether metal detecting in a public park is ok or not. I was wondering if anyone could shed light on this subject for me. Many thanks Neil

watch this space mate someone with that knowledge will answer as they come online
in the mean time
1527307704_24.jpg

You can almost bet it is not legal.
And an influx of careless digging techniques will only make enforcement and regulations harsher.
I would avoid digging on sports grounds or very well maintained lawns.

Been seen at a location encourages others.
Be careful. :eek:

Am 110% sure that digging / plugs / Disturbing the grass etc.. in any public lawn breaches one or more sections of the relevant Parks and Environmental management regs etc.. And that includes Brisbane / Qld and all other states...

Softfall is usually OK .

But I digress as that was NOT your question...

You question " I often come to work in Canberra from Brisbane and I thought on my free time I could use my metal detector in a park. "

You can usually use a Metal Detector any where you want :) Nothing wrong with swinging a metal detector; so long as you do not hit or trip people...

Note: I must try this and use on the walking paths up here; it may slow down the lycras that ignore old people and kids on the shared bike/walk ways...

If you re consider you question and phrase it as to - Is it OK to Dig holes / Plugs / Disturb the grass to recover junk from the ground - Say no more...

NOTE: I was clear as to digging / plugs / Disturbing the grass etc. that activity is a No No in public places sports grounds etc. OTHER than where is is signed and permitted... Fossicking etc

Many do it and get away with it... But as more get out and where they do not respect the public places, and have little recovery skills. Then the hobby gets a bad name..

Piss off the wrong political person down there and the flow on could be NATIONAL...

Im not sure if the legalities but I generally hit parks when it is raining , so no one is around , or days after rain so the ground is soft and neat plugs can be dug . When I replace plugs, you cant even see its been dug . I tend to stay away from busy parks . And also the if theres council workers present . The sign boards at entrances to parks that have all the park rules , like no camping , no fires , no dogs etc do not say anything about detecting ! Your call mate, you can probably only be asked to move on , if accosted !

Gunter

Swinging & digging said:
You can almost bet it is not legal.
And an influx of careless digging techniques will only make enforcement and regulations harsher.
I would avoid digging on sports grounds or very well maintained lawns.

Been seen at a location encourages others.
Be careful. :eek:

i have been booted from the main park in town due to the actions of others :mad:
it sux really bad :N:

Its funny how noone fossicks a patch until they see someone else there , not just parks, but beaches , creeks, rivers , everywhere.

Even parking on the side of the road in the bush , you put the first wheel tracks there and come back in 3 months and theres a old camp fire site znd usually rubbish.

I am getting more sinical by the day :rolleyes: , but all prospectors should be hiding what they are doing within reason , from other prospectors and the general public because if you dont chances are your patch will be flogged when you return.

aussiefarmer said:
Its funny how noone fossicks a patch until they see someone else there , not just parks, but beaches , creeks, rivers , everywhere.

Even parking on the side of the road in the bush , you put the first wheel tracks there and come back in 3 months and theres a old camp fire site znd usually rubbish.

I am getting more sinical by the day :rolleyes: , but all prospectors should be hiding what they are doing within reason , from other prospectors and the general public because if you dont chances are your patch will be flogged when you return.

Worst think is the U Tube promoters, these days.
Willing to sacrifice a spot for a few royalty payments from advertising revenue? :eek: :N: :( :mad:

Thank you all for your thoughts, very helpful. I agree that all plug should be replaced as if you have never been there. Thanks again. Neil

For anyone digging i public grassed areas, a goods tip is to keep say a rag or small sheet of plastic and spread your loose dirt on that out of the plug, hole etc.
Depending on many factors like how damp or dry ground is, or type of soil & types of grass will result in different challengers to keep your plugs unnoticed etc.

For the record i gave coin shooting in public parks way back around 1995 after a number of scary incidents with members of the public, despite target retrieval been
done with the upmost care and caution, you could not tell where i had been.

A $300 fine soon takes the fun out...

So plenty of other places to detect...

And as another person said... make sure yiu can not be seen... not about the public in general but the snipers/poachers that will hit tge place 5min after you leave.

I have pne permission that must have over $2k or $3k in local coin . But totally open to any one driving by.

Gates and fences and signs etc c have already been damaged so we just stay away. Even when doing maintenance people will pull up and climb over a fence AND start detecting. Their excuses are lame and often implying it is public land. READ THE BLOODY Signs.....

So while we would like to swing and have prrmission.. The flow on the the land owner is just nightmare... So we just let the bank grow and one day... maybe....

Did an international Golf Course a few years ago as a few items were lost and management wanted them recovered..

I understand security and police had a few dealings over the next month as diferent people tried some nighthawking....

I guess some of them would be dumb enough to try and dig a plug on a putting green and say it was a good plug.

Darwin is failing in his work due to politics and medical advancements..A shame realy lol.

I've had only 1 direct complaint from a little old lady who was a grumpy stickybeak, I told her to call the council. I chat to the council workers all the time in the places I detect and no one has a problem with me being there and enjoying my hobby. I had one goose driving a crane across an oval stop and tell me that the council would fine me $5000 if I didn't stop, I laughed at him and said I'm on first name basis with the grounds keeper...... a prize know it all......

It's all common sense really. Don't dig up the pitches, don't leave holes, make sure you can recover targets with minimal impact, if unsure then move along, don't bother people as well. If you're just going for surface targets then you don't even need to worry about not leaving a mess.

I've never really had a nasty confrontation with anyone while detecting, mainly only interested people asking what I find, I usually just say only bottle tops and they soon lose interest.

Anyway if I ever cop a fine anyone who reads my finds threads will know about it..

Latest posts