Riveting trivia TDI SL

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Took the SL out for a real trot this afternoon; after LukeOzDigger did the mod on the machine. And a jolly nice improvement it was too.

Now, I went to an area that is prospectively good for au; but as Murphy's Law would have it, no au was found! Why am I not surprised?!

However, I did come away with three fascinating items.

An alluminium top from a yoghurt container.
A .22 cartridge shell.
A fragment of a hacksaw blade.

Holy Crap!!!

Well...I'm unsure if I should say if I'm now a Qualified-Metal-Detector; or just one of the deluded fosickers.

Whatever; I did learn a little more about tuning the machine and listening to how it speaks. I now understand the difference between it 'chirping' and nailing a 'screamer'. But, alas, the screamers were not pay-dirt. But I get it now...dig 'em all.

And serious thanks to Luke-Oz-Digger and RidgeRunner for guidance on tuning the 'beast'. Their collective mentoring was excellent and much appreciated.

I like the SL. I'm impressed how quiet it is under power-lines (sucko ML lovers). The machine is remarkably stable around EMF situations. I didn't believe Ridge-Runner when he said it was extremely stable in these situations, but he's right. It is fantastically quiet in and around electrical installations etc.

But no au!

Murphy was an optimist.

Cool, Now all you need to do is dig those whispering Targets coz although the Screamers are impressive, it's them whisperers that have a good chance of being a good target, mind you them Screamers can be good too, But try and focus on the quiet ones, Rake back the Leaf Litter and twigs and then give it what for, and keep your sweep speed slow and if you do hear a slight Woo scrape about and inch or two of dirt back and try it again and if it don't get better then move on to the next One,

well done mate keep at it,

john

Yes, point taken. Just come in from a few hours detecting and am really glad for the direction. I've become a lot more confident with the language of the machine. And Prospector Pete put me right as to the Frequency tuning. Thanks PP. It worked a treat.

And yes, RR, you're right about listening for the Whispers. As someone said to me very early on, 'Low and slow'.

My yield this arvo was the usual haul. .22 cartridge shells, 40 year old milk bottle top, tops of tin cans etc. I know you'll all get the picture.

Got the picture sunrise. I am on learning curve with the Pro Oz. We should become professional
METAL detectorists . :) it's all part of the curve. Although I am now pretty confident that if I walk over any gold I will hear it. Just got to walk over it.
Good hunting out there mate
Cheers
Mark

Thanks for that Mark. I'm at it most days now. After having found all the trash I have so far, I'm very confident that as I place myself on gold-bearing country, I will find anything au that is there.

Have you done much in the way of depth tests with the Oz? I seem to be getting stuff within about four or five inches of the surface. But then that's just .22 shells, ring-pulls etc.

Cheers....Robin

I haven't done tests with it, I've only been out 3 times so far as things haven't allowed me to. I did however find the tiniest piece of electrical wire, and I mean tiny, maybe only 4mm long and hair width at about 3 to 4" down. I was pretty impressed with that. And it was quite a strong signal. The new razorback 7x11 folded 8 Mono is super sensitive and runs so smooth. Able to operate with gain on 10.
Can't wait to get to the GT with it and give myself a decent chance to walk over something .
Cheers
Mark

It occurred to me Mark, have you got Doug Stone's book, Metal Detecting for Gold in Aust.? I'm just about to buy it. It has very big raps with the serious prospectors.

Also, Jack Lange's DVDs are dynamite. You may already have all of these but I thought it might be worth a mention.

Cheers....Robin

Hi Robin,
I've got his atlas of Vic and lots of his and John Tully maps as well. I hope you get something out of the book. You tube and the forum are great for learning I recon. It's just putting in the time on the ground. That's the trick. I did get a 3.2g nuggett over in WA last year. That was a buz. There is not much in the way of detectable nuggets around Canberra. Me and my mate usually hi- bank the rivers and creeks around here and you get enough to keep the fever at bay :) :)
Cheers
Mark

Thanks for that Mark. I lived in Canberra for twelve years. Wasn't into the au thing then.

Happy hunting.

Robin

Latest posts