Ring ID help

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goldtarget

(AKA OldGT)
Reaction score
Went out shooting this morning trying to clean uup an old spot and hit a recent drop ring. In the pine bark I thought it might be a 20c piece with some steel pole interference, as I got close it firmed up on the ID scale slightly above a 20c piece.

Here's the tricky bit it looks like brass with blingy fake stones, very heavy and orangey yellow, gold rings normally come in around the 5c ID and have that low sheen true opaque yellow look. Doesn't id like brass though in the high tones, nor low in the gold tones. This mid tone ring has me stumped. The scratch on it looks like it's cast of the same metal.

Any clues?

1425177602_img_20150301_133911.jpg

Dunno if that's any help but here you go

Not all gold rings will read as low as 5c, depends on size and composition. For me a large brass ring will come up in the low 80's on the G2, which is a bit of a dead giveaway, a large 9k gold ring comes in at around 63, small 9k gold ring at 50, a 5c coin at 53, and a 20c at 66, so you can see that the ID's are all over the place, though the 20c and large 9k gold ring are pretty close.

You do have to remember that a large percentage of a 9k ring will be copper, so I would expect it to read higher that what you would usually expect.

In saying that, unfortunately I also have a plated junker ring full of stones that comes up as 60, whilst a another comes up in the 70's, so getting it tested or checking for hallmarks is really the only definitive way to find out.

The possibility of a 9k gold ring lives then albeit slim. No hallmark but I live in hope of a melted down payday. Thanks gp.

Looks nice GT. Is there only a hole in under the larger stone, or do they all have holes in the ring underneath them, the goldie colour looks really nice, but....., from here it looks to be wearing off slightly here and there revealing a coppery tone as well.

A quick Google search just about confirms there is much room for sliding and upscaling id scenarios. I'm going to guess based on a higher copper or silver or other alloy basis this may well fall into rose or red gold possibility. It's easily marked or scored with very low amounts of pressure applied, the "true" brass rings I have would never score as easily. Might get lucky on the xrf I'll get it in within the next week and see.

Just the one hole silver. The white stones are quite nice, the single purple stone has no visible scratches or marks. Redone as two rings it may be quite beautiful but not appealing in its current setting.

It's quite pink in the worn areas.

+2, now that I've seen the pic it looks to be gold plate over copper, I have a few that are very similar.

Honestly I would agree if not for the ids. True Copper usually comes in about 80s or high 70s just above silver and BBs around the high 60 to low 70s. This was in the mid 40 range around 20c. Usually gold finds are 20 to 30 being pure or rings some just above that. I asked due to the ids I'm usually pretty sure of what is under the coil and makeup on the scale of my ids this one definitely had me stumped. I'll let you know how the test goes kinda excited whatever the result of the mystery.

Latest posts