Removing old roofing screws.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does any one know how to remove those old roofing screw that have a rounded head with a slot for a screwdriver? The slots are to shallow to be able to apply enough force to turn them, as the screwdriver slips out of the slot. I've tried vice grips on them, but the heads being so round, they just slip off them. The washer under the head of the screw won't allow any space between the screw and the corro to get a decent grip on them. They're on a sloping roof of about 30 degrees. Any Ideas?

Does any one know how to remove those old roofing screw that have a rounded head with a slot for a screwdriver? The slots are to shallow to be able to apply enough force to turn them, as the screwdriver slips out of the slot. I've tried vice grips on them, but the heads being so round, they just slip off them. The washer under the head of the screw won't allow any space between the screw and the corro to get a decent grip on them. They're on a sloping roof of about 30 degrees. Any Ideas?
Angle grinder with 1 or 1.5 mm cut off blade and cut the slot in screw head deeper. If reroofing as in new iron then just cut off screw heads remove iron and then cut screws flush with batten.

Can you put up a picture of the screws. The only fasteners I've seen used for roofing are galvanised nails and galvanised roofing screws with a 10mm hex head. Never come across a flathead screw as roofing fasteners.

Will do. But they're not flat headed, but rounded. Sort of like a small marble cut in half, with a slot in them for the screw driver. They're very old.

Bogger. I'm not game enough to balance on a 30 degree roof using an angle grinder. Besides it's a recipe for disaster with all the dry long grass around the place.

If it is super six asbestos, it would be illegal for you to interfere with it mate.
Big licensing needed. I've seen whole houses scaffolded and bagged to replace a super six roof.

Have you a photo of the roofing sheets?

They usually are aluminium and the only way is to se a flat board across the corries and a pitch around and hammer. It will probably pull the heads off but at least then you can get the sheets off the other alternative is to put new batteries on top of the sheets and then put the new Cory over the whole roof

Very simple, is the roof metal? If not it's asbestos so DON'T TOUCH. The fines for working on Asbestos un-licensed are horrendous. Doesn't matter what State you're in.
No not true with respect to state asbestos regulations. It's a smart practice to not deal with it until you understand the risks and regulations. I'll leave there, not worth putting up detailed information that may change and/or cause someone to put themselves in danger.

Depending on access for your knuckles, a small hacksaw with a narrow, fine-toothed blade can be used to clean up and slightly deepen the slots for the screwdriver blade. Be careful, you need to keep the sides of the slot as close to square as you can, to stop the screwdriver blade from slipping.
I‘d also recommend dressing the blade of the screwdriver, just to make sure the end is square & sharp (sharp corners, on the edges of the blade). Use a screwdriver that fits the slot - too big or too small and it’ll slip.
Failing that, try and find an impact driver with a tip that fits the screw head. These work very well, but of course, your mileage may vary…

Attachments

• 13F00627-C3FB-4D0B-8D19-7686B85C933B.jpeg
    13F00627-C3FB-4D0B-8D19-7686B85C933B.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts