Relic hunting tool tips wanted

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all

I'm currently out in the bush looking for buried relics with my kids. The problem we are having is digging our finds out of the ground!

I have a really bad back and nerve issues, so I currently can't use a spade, which is what we really need. We are using a steel garden stake to break the ground up and a small spade to dig the loose ground, but we are still really struggling. I have three kids with me between the ages of 10 and 15 and they are stuffed, as an I!

Any tips on some tools that I can make that will make this exercise a little easier?

Right now, digging at the beach sounds very appealing lol

Thanks in advance!!

Here you go Homer check out these picks :Y:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=15914

When digging hard ground you really need a decent pick and bluejeansarnold has a good following from PA members. Don't waste your money buying cheap stuff from bunnings or similar. The cheap garden variety picks will shed metal and have you digging swarf from your you beaut cheap crap. Other options are to check out the prospecting suppliers via their websites, hope this helps :beer:

Just another link for cheap tool to make, I put it up in DIY and we have been using them for years.

My daughter Kato is now 15yrs using one for years, and it is good except for really hard ground.

Plug digger Spade. Use a longer handle so you dont have to bend over, I have back issues too.

Make sure to dig around your target by a good margin, so you dont damage it. ;)

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=19869

:)

Roger the long handle. I start the hole standing, and then as I get deeper I kneel down to save my back and neck. It's also easier to reach down to the Chinese guy at the bottom of the hole, and give him a hand up. :)

Thanks for the replies!

GH, thank you for letting me know about your thread that you started! It has helped me heaps! I have a long handled spade that I used a year ago to dig almost 100 holes for the piers for a deck I built, and I decided this morning that the spade had done enough of that work so I gave it permission to retire. After cutting it up, it can now enjoy retirement by joining me on this hobby! :lol: I won't share pics of it because I didn't actually use your template and it's far from perfect, but I think it will do the job just fine. I'm not sure what I'm going to do when the time comes to pull a find out of the hole, but hopefully I won't be so worn out now that it won't be too hard. I have weakness in both legs due to nerve damage, and unfortunately just before Christmas things got a bit worse and I'm struggling to even push down on the spade with my right leg, but I'm determined to not let little things like that stop me! I'll just make sure the ground around me is clear for when I fall over haha

We use a hoe more than any other tool. The reason is that the pick will brake just about anything it hits but the hoe is light weight and much easier to swing as well.

1577936844_zimba_2.jpg

Well that was before we upgraded O:)

Thanks mate! A sieve is definitely something I want to get, which I'll probably make like you did.

Your excavator sure would make looking for stuff in the ground heaps easy!! :lol: :lol: I hired one myself when we were doing our backyard. I sure did have a lot of fun with it! Unfortunately I also had some issues with it too, like when I swung the bucket and hit the house; lucky for me it didn't do too much damage, but I did also hit a window; unfortunately it broke lol thankfully my wife wasn't too mad at me! :lol:

Moneybox said:
We use a hoe more than any other tool. The reason is that the pick will brake just about anything it hits but the hoe is light weight and much easier to swing as well.

[img=...]https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/3960/1577936844_zimba_2.jpg[/img]

Well that was before we upgraded O:)
so thats you leaving those unfilled holes at hawkins hill then hmmmmmmmm....... :playful: :playful: :eek:

HomerJSimpson said:
Thanks mate! A sieve is definitely something I want to get, which I'll probably make like you did.

Your excavator sure would make looking for stuff in the ground heaps easy!! :lol: :lol: I hired one myself when we were doing our backyard. I sure did have a lot of fun with it! Unfortunately I also had some issues with it too, like when I swung the bucket and hit the house; lucky for me it didn't do too much damage, but I did also hit a window; unfortunately it broke lol thankfully my wife wasn't too mad at me! :lol:

Hope you put the Mrs in the drivers seat, and had her working.

Mine swings a Bobcat into donuts and wheelies, after I hired one and threw her into it as a joke, just showed her the brakes and let her go.

:)

Latest posts