Red Spinel

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, Not sure if this is allowed or if this belongs here.
I was hoping that someone could help with a rough value estimate on this stone please.
Its a 1.43ct Red Spinel with a estimated clarity - S1, Has a antique oval cut and is a deep intense orangy red colour. The dimensions are 8mm x 5mm x 4mm and its origin is from Burma, Myanmar and is unheated and untreated

Any advice or help would be very much appreciated, thanks.

1533691460_spinel2.jpg
1533691630_spinel7.jpg

I just googled and found this. Yours looks like it's had a bit of a hard life though.

Fine spinels from both Burma and Tanzania are still very affordable in sizes under 1 carat, with prices ranging from $200 to $500 a carat for good colors. But prices go up exponentially with size. Top reds and pinks typically sell for $600 to $1,200 a carat in the 1-2 ct size, but increase dramatically over 2 carats.

Heatho said:
I just googled and found this. Yours looks like it's had a bit of a hard life though.

Fine spinels from both Burma and Tanzania are still very affordable in sizes under 1 carat, with prices ranging from $200 to $500 a carat for good colors. But prices go up exponentially with size. Top reds and pinks typically sell for $600 to $1,200 a carat in the 1-2 ct size, but increase dramatically over 2 carats.
Do you know why the price rises so quickly with size? Years ago when there I was told that the King required that all rubies over a certain size had to go to him, so large stones were cut up for many years and there are less large ones available still (despite the King being long gone). Don't know if it is a local urban myth or not......

goldierocks said:
Heatho said:

Do you know why the price rises so quickly with size? Years ago when there I was told that the King required that all rubies over a certain size had to go to him, so large stones were cut up for many years and there are less large ones available still (despite the King being long gone). Don't know if it is a local urban myth or not......

Would have been good to be the king GR. :)

I had not heard of that though.

Latest posts