Rare coins start when

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Is there a rule of thumb as in what age coins start to be valuable! Read this morning about rare 1c 2c, so i soaked the coins i found both 1966 in vinegar and salt (as read on the net) then using a magnifying glass, i counted toes and blunt claws on the possum and after 40mins the coin is worth 5c!
Was suprised a 50s penny in only worth 5c!
So is there a magical date or coin that all love to find, that are not as rare as hens teeth? Penny or half penny?

have you typed your question into google? Its like asking what cars are worth money or what trading cars are worth money. I would suggest looking through google and researching the information yourself (not trying to sound rude) Thats how i know a lot about coin collecting, i also have joined other forums for coin collecting etc
you can also buy books that tell you the value of every australian coin, have a look on google/ebay

Rather than age alone dictating "value", it probably has more to do with number of coins issued in that year, condition of the coin(ie. uncirculated), and other unique factors like die errors stamped on coins.

Essentially as soon as you clean a valuable coin, they will instantly lose value. :)

By using any acids or harsh cleaners you will destroy any value of coins you may have.

As said above its more about low mintage years, coin errors and condition, condition, condition.
As for Pennies. .. there were over 300 million made but only around 200 million handed in to be melted down. So there are around 100 million pennies in sock draws, old tins and in the ground. So not rare by any means.

Around 50 years to divide that 100 million over, so thats 2 million pennies for each year (unless the halfpennies were counted in the melt as well)
However ,... there are a lot of coins lost each year
http://m.smh.com.au/federal-politic...year-replacing-lost-coins-20140604-39ixj.html
so if we devide that by 6 (the 225 million coins in the link) we get 37 & 1/2 million coins 2 which = 72 million copper coins each year ,... but lets account for the population increase against losses for the pre 1966 losses and go for a 50 million 1 & 1/2 pennies each year lost and multiply that by around 50 years of pre decimal currency, so now we have around 2&1/2 billion lost coins(pfft at my maths)thats more than were made hey :lol:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halfpenny_(Australian)
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penny_(Australian_coin)
lol, by my calculations it looks like every penny and halfpenny ever made and not melted down, must be still in the ground :eek: .
so anyhow, we've learned nothing here today except there could be coins in the sock drawer that are in fact much much much rarer than what we could all possibly believe. :D 8)

Well done Tug, now go back and check very carefully around where you pulled your first PD and get the faint target near it, that will be the Threepence that was dropped as part of the coin spill as well.
That'll get you your first old silver PD as well.
Hopefully. ;)

Cant, it was done in the hotel beer garden, hotel is open now! Found a few more $2 and 1c 2c.
Some holes are loud tones but very deep 45cm etc! Lots of pull tabs, looks like charcoal rock stuff that makes the pin pointer go crazy. Found an old dart, bits of pipe, nails etc. Hotel is 1800s

Just rang an adelaide coin dealer, she said its in the rare category of aus coins! Said minimum price $100 to $450!
Depending on condition!
Tail side is clean head side is crusty! She said dont clean it! But olive oil soaked will take junk off it

Tell her you'll give her first option and let her soak it clean for a reduction in price ,... I'd be posting it to her asap myself before she gets a chance to come to. ;)

It's all about condition, condition, condition.

1466406921_1925_penny.jpg

You'd only go there when you were on a normal trip to the city Tug, not a special trip in for the coin, scarcity brings on demand, so you would have some worth, make sure it's Australian Virgin Olive Oil if you go for the soak. :D

Tugboat said:
Just rang an adelaide coin dealer, she said its in the rare category of aus coins! Said minimum price $100 to $450!
Depending on condition!
Tail side is clean head side is crusty! She said dont clean it! But olive oil soaked will take junk off it

Congratulations, the 3rd rarest Australian copper Commonwealth coin, though as the dealer mentioned it all comes down to condition. I detected one 2 years back in Adelaide, unfortunately it was reasonably oxidised, so probably not worth a huge amount to serious collectors.

This was the condition of mine, didn't know it was a 1925 till the soil was cleaned off.
1466408071_1419878251_img_20141230_050803.jpg

There are quite a few on ebay, might pay to compare the condition of yours with the ones up for sale. :)

Latest posts