Rains reveal 834-carat sapphire in Queensland Gemfields

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't know much about sapphires but I would have thought it would be more valuable than 12.5k
It's a very poor quality stone, I don't reckon they'd get anywhere near 12 grand for it. A bloke I know at Inverell has two bigger ones that he found in the Rubyvale area, both about the size of a mandarin, he said they might be worth a few bucks a carat at most.

If it was a good quality stone it would be worth a fortune.

It's a very poor quality stone, I don't reckon they'd get anywhere near 12 grand for it. A bloke I know at Inverell has two bigger ones that he found in the Rubyvale area, both about the size of a mandarin, he said they might be worth a few bucks a carat at most.

If it was a good quality stone it would be worth a fortune.
Aha! Fair enough and thanks for the explanation @Heatho.
:)

Lots of Speculation at to where it was actually found and when... Some have said it was found at Billabong Blue in NSW, Others say QLD... And some are saying it was found 12mths ago., Others are saying very recently...:rolleyes:..
Who knows, but a Cutter or not, It's worth a lot more than 12.5k....
Anyone seen or have a pic of it cleaned ?, I have only seen 'dirty' pics..:(

LW...

Thank-you Diginit....... Champ

Yes it is Mackka a Bomb but BIG Bombs like this are very rare... So, it should remain as one .. Worth ?? Who knows how high someone is prepared to pay...

They say it can be cut into several smaller stones( less than 5cts) But what's the point of cutting such a rare Piece......

So the 'Finder' wants to keep it whole.... And Not For Sale...☺️

LW...

Lots of Speculation at to where it was actually found and when... Some have said it was found at Billabong Blue in NSW, Others say QLD... And some are saying it was found 12mths ago., Others are saying very recently...:rolleyes:..
Who knows, but a Cutter or not, It's worth a lot more than 12.5k....
Anyone seen or have a pic of it cleaned ?, I have only seen 'dirty' pics..:(

LW...
I really don't think it's worth anywhere near that LW, it's just a bomb, if not they'd be showing off the colour, I know I would be. $2 per carat I reckon.

Just like a Gold Nugget.... Some/most are worth a hell of a lot more than just 'Gold Price'...

There's not many Sapphire Bombs that size found in todays time, So yes i think if sold it would go for a big price, Cause of it's uniqueness.... Not Quality of Stones cut from it....

LW....

Just like a Gold Nugget.... Some/most are worth a hell of a lot more than just 'Gold Price'...

There's not many Sapphire Bombs that size found in todays time, So yes i think if sold it would go for a big price, Cause of it's uniqueness.... Not Quality of Stones cut from it....

LW....
Maybe.

Though the difference between gold nuggets and gems is that the value of a gemstone is subjective, gold has a guaranteed price.

This is the pic of the one found at Billabong Blue recently... Only 155ct ....:)
View attachment 5774

LW...
Yes, found in the tourist pile apparently. I've seen the vid, only a few sections with any colour, definitely
nothing woth cutting. I had some large ones cabbed with colour like that and they look pretty crap.

Have seen some similar sized ones come from the pile when I've been there. A mate actually found
a 50ct star in the pile but he hasn't had it cabbed yet.

This is the pic of the one found at Billabong Blue recently... Only 155ct ....:)
View attachment 5774

LW...
Hey LW, can you send a link to the video of this one? I'm pretty sure this is the one that was found by a teenager a couple of years ago and it's just been reposted recently by a 3rd party. I was at BB over the weekend and someone mentioned it to Bill and he has no clue about any giant ones found in recent times.

Was posted on SE QLD-NTH NSW FOSSICKING Facebook Page ....
I had a pretty good idea that that one was found quite awhile ago... :rolleyes:

I will see if i can find it again..

LW...

Latest posts