Question for fossil people

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
About 15 years ago in the gulf of carpentaria a fair way south of Normanton but north of Cloncurry I found an area that was uncovered by a grader whilst doing roads. The country was all sandy with no stone but this particular spot of about 4 meters x 4 meters had thin plates of hard very heavy stone as well as almost perfect spheres and bone like cylinders with ends that looked like joints. The material was very hard and heavy and really strange to be in country that had no other stone for miles. I always meant to tell some one who knew more than I do about fossils or at least had an interest in it but never got around to it. Sorry I dont have photos but assume its all still there and can point some one too it. Maybe a museum or some thing ?

About 15 years ago in the gulf of carpentaria a fair way south of Normanton but north of Cloncurry I found an area that was uncovered by a grader whilst doing roads. The country was all sandy with no stone but this particular spot of about 4 meters x 4 meters had thin plates of hard very heavy stone as well as almost perfect spheres and bone like cylinders with ends that looked like joints. The material was very hard and heavy and really strange to be in country that had no other stone for miles. I always meant to tell some one who knew more than I do about fossils or at least had an interest in it but never got around to it. Sorry I dont have photos but assume its all still there and can point some one too it. Maybe a museum or some thing ?
Probably best to contact the museum. If you would be happy to take them there, you could be credited as the discoverer and have a new fossil named after you. Giganticus Goldfreakasaurus.
Or perhaps after your reference to spheres and bone like cylinders “ Biggus Dickus”

Last edited:
Could you revisit and take photos? You could take out the location info and then post them here?

I can still give a rough location and probably find it if I went back there assuming it hasnt been buried by machinery. live in the opposite side of the country now though so cant re visit easily. It might be nothing but if it is something significant would like it to end up in the right hands. If you have any suggestions let me know.

I can still give a rough location and probably find it if I went back there assuming it hasnt been buried by machinery. live in the opposite side of the country now though so cant re visit easily. Is there anyone in Richmond Qld I could contact ? Museum maybe ? It might be nothing but if it is something significant would like it to end up in the right hands.
What is Richmond Queensland known for?
The town's main attraction is Kronosaurus Korner - the town's marine fossil museum - which vividly reminds the visitor that over 100 million years ago this vast, flat area was an inland sea teeming with primitive wildlife.

https://www.kronosauruskorner.com.au/

What is Richmond Queensland known for?
The town's main attraction is Kronosaurus Korner - the town's marine fossil museum - which vividly reminds the visitor that over 100 million years ago this vast, flat area was an inland sea teeming with primitive wildlife.

https://www.kronosauruskorner.com.au/
Thanks Goldierocks. Just tried to call them but no answer. Will try again later. Hate answering machines..

Last edited:
Thanks Goldierocks. Just tried to call them but no answer. Will try again later. Hate answering machines..
Often museums in towns have only part-time staff (sometimes solely volunteer) because they cannot afford otherwise. Keep trying- perhaps email as well. The type of people who run museums don't mind enthusiastic enquirers as a rule.

I wonder if what you saw were concretions rather than fossils.

1674532517713.png

https://collections.museumsvictoria.com.au/articles/11002