Queensland State Forests and National Parks

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Guys and Girls,

I hear that I am not allowed to go detecting in State Forests or National Parks, however, I was wondering what the penalties are?
Someone told me they can seize your car and detector... but reading the fossicking act... it mentions a warrant?

Can they take my detector? do they have to give it back? surely you would just get a fine in the first instance.

The reason i am asking this is not because i plan on going into a national park, but i detect on the border of one and if i accidently go into their 'zone'
and get in trouble I want to know what i am up against.

Cheers,

Luke.

Mate they can take the lot, detector car, money, house etc etc.
The only state forest area in SE QLd you can fossick in is the Durakai and Talgai Foress.
You need a fossicking licence in do any fossicking/prospecting in Qld. Get caught without when then they can and will throw the whole weight of the law on you.
If you roughly know where the boundaries of the park is then stay well away and you'll be fine.
Inspectors are out there and will bust you when you least expect it.

http://www.dnrm.qld.gov.au/mining/fossicking

Hey Elrodeo,

So... if i am 'outside' the park... how do I know if I can still detect? (for example: if i am on a road, outside of the boundaries of the park)...
can you detect along side the road or fields near by?

Is there any quick way to find out if an area of QLD GOV land or private land?

Can you detect in QLD GOV creeks if they are not in a state forest or national park?

... so many questions lol

Luke

What do you mean by around the bong? (sorry mate, I don't know what a bong is).

I am just having trouble understand exactly where I can detect outside the 'official' fossicking areas. For example...
saying i am driving through the Country and see a small river on the side of the road... can I detect there? and who's land is that?
state? fed? local council?

thanks.

Luke.

You can go 30 m either side the middle of a road . You can go in a creek as long not on private land. The boundry of state or national parksbis the middle of any creek if it is a boundry of same.

Contact the local deedi or mines office. Just google mines qld. Speak to the mines inspector for the area you are going to. This way you have their interpretation which is the only one that matters in cases likevthis.

Cheers Tone

... and stock routes are classed as roads. If you go to dnrm dot qld dot gov dot au Then accessing-using-land / state-land / roads / land-tenure-types / roads you will note this. Then go to stock-routes / about and there's a map of the routes. Plenty of them. If some one knows a more detail stock route map I'd love to know. Maybe easier to drive to friendly Vic at present?

Latest posts