QED Info Thread.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
False alarm on that one sorry everyone. Turns out the usb port on the gps is for data only.
The 12v charger i was supllied must be from some other device. If anyone bought a garmin etrex 30x based on what i wrote i will give a *rebate :)
Apolagies
Jason

*all rebates will be deducted from my qed fund :(

Finally "Q" day today. Having a quick nap then off to see brian after lunch. Still havent decided on handle type yet, but will have a fondle of all three before i decide. Obviously the whites straight handle will be of interest now. Am going to go with the 20", and the 11" ultra sensing coils. Not sure if i will get a sadie or not. I think i would prefer a small eliptical coil possibly..
Will have to work out what wireless earbuds to go for mostly. I like the beats powerbeat pro earbuds (really like the earclip design for fit), but need to find out if they work ok.

hippyhunter said:
Finally "Q" day today. Having a quick nap then off to see brian after lunch. Still havent decided on handle type yet, but will have a fondle of all three before i decide. Obviously the whites straight handle will be of interest now. Am going to go with the 20", and the 11" ultra sensing coils. Not sure if i will get a sadie or not. I think i would prefer a small eliptical coil possibly..
Will have to work out what wireless earbuds to go for mostly. I like the beats powerbeat pro earbuds (really like the earclip design for fit), but need to find out if they work ok.

Awesome mate. Great choice of coils as i run the 11 and 20.

1572054523_20191026_112346.jpg

I actually ended up getting the whites straight handle version with the sadie and 20" from goldman.
In the same trip i scored a new detech 11" ultra, a detech 15x12 mono, and an 11" dd commander for 3 hunjy from facebook. So all kitted with 5 coils for 2.5k. So good. Now i just need to work out if i want an amp like you aussiedigs. And also the wireless earbuds thing.

One thing to note with the whites straigh handle unit is that its a bit shorter than the other two by maybe 10cm or so. If you are over 175cm you may need to buy a longer lower shaft to suit your taller height. This is because of the middle shaft being shorter. Its perfect for me at full extend anyway.
Thanks for the assistance from all with my questions (too many to mention).. i will be glad to assist anyone else with any info i can, now i might actually know firsthand what im talking about now (a little bit maybee. Haha).
(Iike today i found out the bateries arent actually the same as the eneloops as i thought.. hmm
Thats embarresing).

Nice one elijah. Did you get a free cap with purchase? I see they come with curly audio cable now instead of retractable cable.i actually got a short nylon coated audio cable off ebay for mine, which winds snugly around the speaker mount to the shaft. Then wraped aroumd the shaft until it drops nearly dirctly to the audio plug at control box. I like that setup as its not prone to getting caught on branches much. And right angle plugs are best for speaker side at least, as its usually more durable with knocks or bumps. Are you doing a training session for your first outing?

hippyhunter said:
Nice one elijah. Did you get a free cap with purchase? I see they come with curly audio cable now instead of retractable cable.i actually got a short nylon coated audio cable off ebay for mine, which winds snugly around the speaker mount to the shaft. Then wraped aroumd the shaft until it drops nearly dirctly to the audio plug at control box. I like that setup as its not prone to getting caught on branches much. And right angle plugs are best for speaker side at least, as its usually more durable with knocks or bumps. Are you doing a training session for your first outing?

Hat was a prize won on the QED facebook group competition last week lol, Yeah i like the whole setup, curly cable is a great edition, the machine is light too, makes lugging around my 4000 seem like too much effort now lol.

Can't wait to get out on the fields and try it out.

Elijah said:
hippyhunter said:

Hat was a prize won on the QED facebook group competition last week lol, Yeah i like the whole setup, curly cable is a great edition, the machine is light too, makes lugging around my 4000 seem like too much effort now lol.

Can't wait to get out on the fields and try it out.

Yes the whites straight handle is balanced amazingly up to 11 inch coil, its no strain at all for 6-8 hours of swinging. I didnt notice a lot of difference going from the xp to this even though its nearly double the weight.
Dying to get out here also. Im going to detect for 10 hours straight when im allowed out :lol:

This thread “6000 Vs 7000: Hot Rocks And Small Gold “ on the USA DP forum sparked my interested to test the QED against the 6000 .

Therefore, with a hot rock that produced a response to both detectors using a mono coil, and with the hot rock held and a tiny nugget placed underneath the hot rock , I proceeded to see if either detector would ground balance out the hot rock along with the nugget.

The 6000 did not however the QED ended up ground balancing out both the hot rock along with the nugget.

Rush, just as a matter of interest, which 'upgrade' is in your QED? There seems to be a number of variations out there and no proper record of which version is installed in what model. Most confusing.

As you say Reg, it is confusing on the various versions of the QED that are out there.

Therefore, my QED still has the PL2 software / firmware since it has 16 Mode settings, 10 Gain settings and MGB range of 1-200.

However, it has the Screen Box attached on the shaft just above the hand grip on the S- type shaft assembly and the Control Box separate and attached underneath the arm rest, which is the PL3 type version setup.

Reg, also to add to the confusion are the variations in Mode pulse delay times.

I believe my QED’s Mode 1 operates at 7.5us and then each Mode increases by 0.25us up to Mode 15 at 11us and Mode 16 (Beach Mode) operates the same as Mode 1 at 7.5us.

Some reports had said regarding the 16 Mode version of the QED, that Mode 1 operates at 7us and then each Mode increased by 0.66us up to Mode 15 at 16.24us.

Well as far as my research is concerned then this version with Mode increments of 0.66us, Mode 1 operated at 8us up to Mode 15 at 17.24us, which I believe is the PL2 version before my QED PL2. Also, it had Mode 16 (Beach Mode) that operated the same as Mode 1 at 8us.

Going back even further to the PL1 version then my research showed it had 8 Modes with Mode 1 operating at 8us and each Mode increasing by 0.44us up to Mode 8 at 10.8us. There was no so-called Beach Mode on the PL1.

Finally, the current QED PL4 version as well as the PL3 version that have been updated after August 2019, operates with 11 Modes. So, Mode 1 operates at 8us and then each Mode increases by 0.5us up to Mode 10 at 12.5us. Mode 11 is the so- called “Beach Mode” that again operates the same as Mode 1 at 8us.

As you can see no wonder confusion can reign, as I see it.

Despite strenuous quizzing, bugs, the builder of the QED is still unable to give a date at which the Auto ground tracking will be available. This is disappointing for those who purchased a PL4 which has auto tracking function printed on the control box, but has no auto tracking function. Customers were told that AGT would soon be added to their detector at no cost. It now seems that this function may be beyond the expertise and circuitry of the QED. Bugs has stated that AGT will not be necessary as the new planned ground balance will be a big improvement on the current system. A date for the new GB is also not available. None of this is very reassuring to PL4 owners.

Very wary on the purchase of a QED, as for some reason many conflicting statements regards it? In many instances a complete turn around of views coming from the same person even ? Hence sadly my hesitation in purchasing to give it a go ? Would love for someone to enlighten me as to the reason why? One could say it is indeed a very discussed machine :rolleyes:

It doesn't matter how good the QED is there is always someone that is going to try and put it down as is shown on here...Some love them and some not so much but for an entry level gold detector they seem to be good value...I don't own one so can't comment on how good they are but from what I see the tall poppy syndrome is alive and well..

It doesn't matter how good the QED is there is always someone that is going to try and put it down as is shown on here...Some love them and some not so much but for an entry level gold detector they seem to be good value...I don't own one so can't comment on how good they are but from what I see the tall poppy syndrome is alive and well..
Have been thinking about getting a QED , I don’t listen to people bagging a name I’m used to it I drive a JEEP lol.