Pumps for a Highbanker - information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the WX 15/I used for my walbanker.
Its now being used on our farm in PI to pump water from the irrigation canal into our rice fields ..
1609922619_a990a22d-0bb6-47fc-87f4-386e3b12104f.jpg

1609922619_2c94b0ef-9bec-441e-9351-9956f77df2f1.jpg

:Y:
1609922814_0d83350d-4ceb-403a-b0c1-e64acfa94cab.jpg

nucopia said:
This is what Wal recommended for his walbanker
WX 15 or similar capacity pump..

https://powerequipment.honda.com.au/models/pumps/wx15

Better to have it than wish for it, water capacity that is :Y: I'd definitely go the WX15 over the WX10 the extra 160 litres a minute is worth it if you find yourself pushing water to a head (up hill) Depending on the hose diameter especially pumping to a head you need to consider friction loss which will reduce your litres per minute volume.

Haven't you read the replies-Hi-bankers banned NSW/QLD. Don't waste your money-if you continue this topic with doing it anyway-instant full ban.
Jaros

Jaros said:
Haven't you read the replies-Hi-bankers banned NSW/QLD. Don't waste your money-if you continue this topic with doing it anyway-instant full ban.
Jaros

Jaros relax kotolos is aware and has stated (Edit) post 3# of this thread the intended use isn't for NSW. Definitely not worth flexing muscle and mentioning bans :( there's been more than enough of that shite mentioned of late :beer:

Kotolos said:
Ozito has a 4stroke petrol water transfer pump @ 380L/Minute
Would that be sufficient or too much water?

Having a higher volume pump is good but can cause issues by virtue of weight if you have to lug it in somewhere. 250 to 350 litres a minute is good :Y: 380 is also good all you need to do is fit a ball valve on the outlet of the pump or at the inlet of the banker and regulate flow by closing or opening the valve :Y: :beer:

Thornado pumps are reliable and effective, but rather heavy, weighing in at 14kg for the 1.5 inch pump most suitable for prospecting use. I once had a very similar Rato, but that seems to have disappeared from their range.

The Honda WX10 has the fuel tank on the bottom of the pump and experienced users tell me that fuel can get very hot or even boil with prolonged use. However, it is only 6.1kg, so less than half the weight of the Thornado. For short sessions with a smaller sluice or highbanker it will work well.

I reckon the WX15 is the best balance between capacity, weight (9.1 kg, so around 5 kg lighter than the Thornado) and reliability. Fuel tank is at the top of the pump. Weight is important as the best gold comes from places requiring a walk. As the saying goes, you get what you pay for.

Jaros said:
Jaros

Pumping is banned in N.S.W, not the Hi-banker that is my understanding.

Kotolos said:
Thanks everyone for the help, ordered the thornado 1.5, the weight wont be a problem so it was the best one for me. managed to find it on amazon for 40% of the RRP.
Will post how it goes after I've had a chance to use it :)

You got yourself a good little pump, do a oil change first up and replace the plug. cheers

The thornado pump I got has an input and output hole size of 1.5", although I can only find a 1.5" hose in tiny lengths.
If I connected the a 1.5" hose to the pump and then joined it up with a 1" hose all the way the the spray bar (also 1") would that effect the water flow or is it all good todo it like that?

Thank you

Here you go try these places and find out where they have a distributor near you.

Layflat hose
https://angusflexiblepipelines.com.au/flowmasterirrigation/?gclid=CjwKCAiAouD_BRBIEiwALhJH6BzEcgv2Rz7YCnQCixflqLe_znwr66j3d3Wqrh-O-x0y8MJH3eigQRoCVokQAvD_BwE

Clear Hard suction and clear multi-purpose delivery hose

https://esdan.com.au/steel-wire-helix-suction-hose/

https://esdan.com.au/clear-multi-purpose-hose/

You can buy what ever length you need, best to keep length to manageable weight and couple together multiples if extra length is required :beer:

The last thing I need to complete my wal's highbanker, the spaghetti mesh miners moss stuff. Bunnings only had the fine tightly woven one now.
Looked online at all my local stores, ebay and amazon, all sell the same tightly woven 'cushion' ones.

anyone have an idea on where you can find one these days?

would standard miners moss with a plastic or ribbed mat under essentially be the same thing, i saw this suggestion on another post

Latest posts