Pumps for a Highbanker - information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kotolos said:
RM outback & mbasko, thank you very much.

I didnt know why I didnt think to check thornado duh, that layflat 1.5" is perfect!!

The pumps pickup hose (from the pump to water supply} this hose should be non collapsible and have a smooth boar on the inside. If it does not the ribbed hose will suck air one day and make your pumps output very poor.

Check out these lines of post

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=209558#p209558

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=210091#p210091

For pump and hose information go to this line of post.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=206332#p206332

:Y:

( standard miners moss with a plastic or ribbed mat under essentially be the same thing ) yep but it is a pain to clean out.

Jemba said:
The pumps pickup hose (from the pump to water supply} this hose should be non collapsible and have a smooth boar on the inside. If it does not the ribbed hose will suck air one day and make your pumps output very poor.

Yes I just realized this. thornado also sells a smooth boar suction hose

mbasko said:

That's still mechanical. So is a yabee pump. A lever is a machine, and mechanical force is output when you lift a bucket. Our laws are stupidly worded, and poorly thought out. You cannot process more than 1 cubic meter of material and you have to put it back where you found it too. The reality I have observed from a lifetime of watching older and wiser people than I will ever be boils down to: do as you please, just don't shit up the environment, don't flog a place out, and don't get caught.

Most of us are out there to fart about anyway, we will never break even to the costs we've put in or even our petrol money. It's not about that for us. But at the same time I don't want to see a bloke go down for using a bloody water pump. Using a water pump from a creek theoretically would do LESS harm to the creek than an in-river sluice would do as you can dump your tailings where you're extracting it from. Whereas if you use a river sluice you're taking material sometimes from the side of the river sometimes even from further away inland and then pumping that material INTO the watercourse. So I don't understand their reasoning with half these laws.

I always put it down to the fact legislators never have a clue about the subject they're legislating about. Like that time NSW banned every factory manufactured motorcycle that wasn't a sports bike for 4 days (anything whose handlebars were more than 150mm above their seat, i.e. every cruiser, naked, scooter, etc, etc) and unfortunately the average punter SUPPORTED these laws (probably because they didn't ride) because they punished people they didn't like like dirt bikers, or heck the gun laws that only affect law abiding citizens, are the harshest in the world, but 86% of people think they 'aren't tough enough' yet have saved 0 lives and done nothing but turn law abiding citizens into outlaws.

RM Outback said:
Jaros said:
Haven't you read the replies-Hi-bankers banned NSW/QLD. Don't waste your money-if you continue this topic with doing it anyway-instant full ban.
Jaros

Jaros relax kotolos is aware and has stated (Edit) post 3# of this thread the intended use isn't for NSW. Definitely not worth flexing muscle and mentioning bans :( there's been more than enough of that shite mentioned of late :beer:

Is that a problem here? I just signed up, but if that's the kind of attitudes of moderators I might find somewhere else to take my knowledge. I voraciously disagree with the legislation. And I do not think that speaking out against or disagreeing with ridiculous laws is 'wrong' - in fact it's our duty as citizens to oppose unfair laws. Whilst I don't break the law (well, I guess I have moved more than a cubic meter of material in a 48 hour period, everyone has done that - again another stupid part of the legislation) disagreeing with the law is literally my job as a lawyer. So I won't fair well here if this is one of those tread-on-me-harder-daddy type establishments.

DrDuck said:
The Honda WX10 has the fuel tank on the bottom of the pump and experienced users tell me that fuel can get very hot or even boil with prolonged use. However, it is only 6.1kg, so less than half the weight of the Thornado. For short sessions with a smaller sluice or highbanker it will work well.

I reckon the WX15 is the best balance between capacity, weight (9.1 kg, so around 5 kg lighter than the Thornado) and reliability. Fuel tank is at the top of the pump. Weight is important as the best gold comes from places requiring a walk. As the saying goes, you get what you pay for.

Heat rises. Also if it's at the bottom you could put it in the water to cool it.

It's interesting that this would be perceived to be an issue (i.e. heat 'sinking' onto it rather than rising onto tanks above) given I bet the manufacturers thought locating it south would have been a design benefit and yet people are seeing it as a flaw.

I wonder if there's another reason for the heat transfer difference - perhaps more metal of the engine in contact with the tank? I haven't looked at the specific pump but usually they're air cooled motors so their chassis tend to heat up, could that be it?

Lex

The bloke to told me this has more experience in alluvial gold recovery and the use of a range of pumps than anyone I know. I don't doubt is observation his accurate.

I suspect that a tank underneath the pump heats up through radiation and direct heat transfer from the pump, but cannot effectively cool down because the hot pump is on top of the tank, whereas a tank mounted at the top of the pump has unimpeded cooling direct into air.

Dr Lex Winter said:
mbasko said:

That's still mechanical. So is a yabee pump. A lever is a machine, and mechanical force is output when you lift a bucket. Our laws are stupidly worded, and poorly thought out. You cannot process more than 1 cubic meter of material and you have to put it back where you found it too. The reality I have observed from a lifetime of watching older and wiser people than I will ever be boils down to: do as you please, just don't shite up the environment, don't flog a place out, and don't get caught.

Most of us are out there to fart about anyway, we will never break even to the costs we've put in or even our petrol money. It's not about that for us. But at the same time I don't want to see a bloke go down for using a bloody water pump. Using a water pump from a creek theoretically would do LESS harm to the creek than an in-river sluice would do as you can dump your tailings where you're extracting it from. Whereas if you use a river sluice you're taking material sometimes from the side of the river sometimes even from further away inland and then pumping that material INTO the watercourse. So I don't understand their reasoning with half these laws.

I always put it down to the fact legislators never have a clue about the subject they're legislating about. Like that time NSW banned every factory manufactured motorcycle that wasn't a sports bike for 4 days (anything whose handlebars were more than 150mm above their seat, i.e. every cruiser, naked, scooter, etc, etc) and unfortunately the average punter SUPPORTED these laws (probably because they didn't ride) because they punished people they didn't like like dirt bikers, or heck the gun laws that only affect law abiding citizens, are the harshest in the world, but 86% of people think they 'aren't tough enough' yet have saved 0 lives and done nothing but turn law abiding citizens into outlaws.
Lex you're on the wrong trajectory.
It might be mechanical but it's hand operated, although not very practical for a highbanker & was said firmly tongue in cheek. They do however use them on modern rocker boxes.
Hand operated tools are fine.
MINING REGULATION 2016 - REG 12 Fossicking said:
(2) A person must not carry out work that includes any of the following activities for the purpose of fossicking:
(c) the use ofpower-operated equipmentfor the purpose of surface disturbance, excavation or processing on any land,

"power-operated equipment"means any equipment powered by mechanical or electrical means.
The hand pump is powered by hand power not a mechanical or electrical motor.
The only reason petrol/diesel & electric pumps have been outlawed in NSW is because the word "processing" was added to the above clause in a 2010 Regulation amendment.

In the case of a yabby pump the only legalities involved would be whether a yabby pump is allowed to be used on the river/stream by Fisheries. Some areas they aren't allowed but I believe those areas are only in some coastal or tidal water areas. More than likely be frowned upon in protected inland habitat areas too (common sense required).

In the case of certain "grey" areas they are probably best left for people to go quietly & responsibly about their business. In 1.5hrs you've raised more red flags than seen on here for awhile :( On some matters inside the "grey" zone it's best to just keep your head down & not attract unwanted or unneeded attention.

If you truly are a lawyer & think you can help maybe consider contacting NAPFA https://www.napfa.net/default.html
https://www.napfa.net/upload/NAPFA%20Regulation%20Changes%20to%20DRE%202017%20%20Final%20.pdf
They've had lawyers look at these things already I believe & are continuing to lobby.
IMO raising red flags on an open forum does very little to nothing in solving these issues & just creates trouble for the moderators.

Dr Lex Winter said:
The reality I have observed from a lifetime of watching older and wiser people than I will ever be boils down to: do as you please, just don't shite up the environment, don't flog a place out, and don't get caught.
Points 1 & 4 seem to me to be very irresponsible & unprofessional advice from a lawyer? :N:

John and Johnno

Good service and helpful

I use a 2.5 hp 4 stroke Honda copy....works great...

1612152585_pumps.jpg

Anyone know if its necessary to wire a fuse in between the 12v pump and battery? The destruction manual for the rule pump i got recomend a fuse on the pos and neg wires. Have bever seen mention of it in any forum threads so far though.wondering if i ahould bother or not?
definitely need a fuse mate, its rated and written on most bilge pumps. its more to do with low quality or non regulated batteries and batteries on the way out, a battery thats close to death might discharge at 14 volts causing a short which produces heat and will melt your good pump, an inline fuse protects the pump so its lasts fore years to come. its impossible to provide the correct fuse for everyone as bilges are mostly designed to be wired into a boat hull and often straight into a fuse block.
If running a highbanker / cleanup sluice id use a sealed inline fuse like below mate they last the longest and keep water out.

Attachments

• fuse block.jpg
    fuse block.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts