Protecting private land holder's interests

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've read plenty of NSW exploration reports where the exploration companies have stated that due to access issues some areas of the EL weren't able to be prospected.
To me they read like some landholders just dig their heels in & refuse to allow access onto their land so some of the companies not wanting extra costs/hassles move onto other accessible areas within the EL. These were probably more likely to be smaller exploration companies with small budgets etc. as some big companies with big budgets won't shy away from access fights (in particular with things like coal exploration).
Sand Surfer said:
They had to build bunds around each drill site big enough to catch all water an sediment and it had to be removed from the farm
This would be fairly standard practice on drill sites now as part of any environmental conditions so should be part of any access conditions for drillers. Landholders should be making sure they negotiate access conditions & are aware of their rights - things like containing drill tailings, repairing/replacing fencing, upgrading access tracks, staying away from stock watering points & farm buildings etc. should all be agreed on.
https://www.resourcesandgeoscience....-community/landholders-rights/mining_act_1992

https://www.resourcesandgeoscience.nsw.gov.au/landholders-and-community/landholders-rights
The legislation in NSW though does appear to favour the explorers if they wanted to pursue it. Even though you may own the land the NSW State Government still owns the minerals/resources in most cases.

P.s to take out her own EL then yes there are exploration activities/expenditure expectations & periodical reporting on these to be made to satisfy NSW Resources - if they aren't satisfied then they can relinquish the EL & another company can take it over or part there of in another EL.
As far as I know there is no way of preventing an EL being taken out over an area - you can only dispute access through mediation/court or negotiate favourable access conditions. No exploration can take place without a written Access Arrangement. :Y:

Thanks nbasko, I think after 15 or so Mining Leases being over many years they would have found what they were looking for... The last Company found 'something' but because of the mixture of Minerals and the Difficulty in Processing and separating them it was just not worth it... I have spent many hours reading these reports and they all have said the same thing..... All too hard... Now that the work has been done by many Companies, Hopefully this will be the end of it...
She just wants to Protect her 'Environmental Refuge' and has asked me to advise her.(I have no idea).. She has seen a Lawyer and Enquiries are being made now....

She is one tough Cookie and I wouldn't like to go to Court to face Her... I also have sent her the links you put up....

One interesting Note in the last report, was the Gold Vein 30mm thick they drilled through, but at 125m deep it can stay there... :eek:

I thought of You after I put up the post last night... Thank-you for your Detailed Info.. :Y:

LW.....

LoneWolf said:
Thanks nbasko, I think after 15 or so Mining Leases being over many years they would have found what they were looking for... The last Company found 'something' but because of the mixture of Minerals and the Difficulty in Processing and separating them it was just not worth it... I have spent many hours reading these reports and they all have said the same thing..... All too hard... Now that the work has been done by many Companies, Hopefully this will be the end of it...
She just wants to Protect her 'Environmental Refuge' and has asked me to advise her.(I have no idea).. She has seen a Lawyer and Enquiries are being made now....

She is one tough Cookie and I wouldn't like to go to Court to face Her... I also have sent her the links you put up....

One interesting Note in the last report, was the Gold Vein 30mm thick they drilled through, but at 125m deep it can stay there... :eek:

I thought of You after I put up the post last night... Thank-you for your Detailed Info.. :Y:

LW.....
It is not that simple - MOST Australian mines have been found where there has been previous exploration, far less in new areas (although some of these are huge). There is a limit to how much budget can be allocated to one area - a company might be exploring 6 different areas - it gets some good results on one and stops exploring the others. It does not mean the others have nothing, just that it is better to spend limited money on where you have first got some good results. It is not a case of most areas being "drilled to death". Other factors also come into play, such as improved technology with time, or deeper drilling than in the past, or the ability to mine lower grades than in the past.

Fortunately many discoveries in old mining areas are not in a farmer's potato paddock - the fact that they have been mined before means they are often not developed for farming.

However, the mines of the future do need to be found in new areas - old areas will not continue to provide new discoveries forever. New areas have included mines like Olympic Dam, one of the world's largest mines (also Carapatina and other huge bodies in the same area), and Telfer, and some orebodies in the Tanami and Cloncurry region, and Boddington, and Argyle - also large gold orebodies in central NSW away from obvious old areas around Orange etc.. Minerals are around half of our exports, and we certainly need them if we are not to become a very poor nation - e.g. coal alone is equal in value to ALL of Australia's agricultural exports put together and is 40% of Queensland exports - hence the last election results. So it is a case of new areas being found, then being re-mined and explored for many decades while gradually being replaced by further new discoveries.

All good lone wolf, but as mbasko said the bunds would be in place today,that farmer that halted gina and her coal mates that was about 10 years ago, how i new about it i new the bloke doing the drilling.With the fossicking area , it could be singled off as a seperate area as they do with banana and ginger farms here, with bio security there is a general area where all workers and visitors are to go, outside that general area everything has to be washed down in the wash bay that includes footware . she could have the fossickig area's as general visitors area, everywhere else is a wash down area if she got her environmental refuge up and running,not that i know a lot about it since i got out of farming, but people that are still in the game say it is all to do with bio hazards on the farm these days, it may be another stick in the mud cheers LW :Y:

Sadly at the end of the day if a company has a EL or a mining lic on an area the land owner cant do too much in way of stopping them.

Latest posts