Poly pipe trommel

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aushunter

Brad Welch
Reaction score
Well I have been scrounging around for ideas to build a small 12v trommel made out of 250 diameter poly pipe or storm pipe.
I have just started the design and I am only part way thru the design.
At 800mm long and designed to be easily broken down for transport, I even thought it would be good to use in my new shed as I temd to bring home bucket loads of dirt to process.

goldtrommel3_zpsba809de5.jpg

goldtrommel2_zps6a73b74f.jpg

goldtrommel1_zps5c8eef1e.jpg

Here are some views of the project in progress.
As I continue I will ask a few q's about a few things as this is the first trommel I have built.
Cheers
Brad...

Thats a start for the barrel, you WILL need idlers that face up slope and hold the barrel fron trying to drift dowm with weight....
It looks like a cool START!!!!!! :)

I was trying to get away from putting idlers on it.
I am going to turn up 4 large nylon washers that fit on either side of the scooter wheels so it can keep on track.
A small 12v motor will be attached underneath and the drive belt hopefully will keep it from heading upwards.
The scooter wheels have stainless ball bearings and run pretty smoothly.
I will check ebay for a 12v motor or even a 6v might do, just in the early stages as yet.
Cheers
Brad...

Cool, but imagine the weight of
dirt coming down the barrel....
The side load on your 'wheels would be too much......unless you reduce thruput.......
My nieghbour have a forty foot tromel here puts thru upto 600 yds a a day....they have these 'hold up' barrel wheeels... 6 to 10 ounces a day.......
I'm just trying to cross the info onto your machine.............

6 to 10 oz would be nice, but this baby is just that, just a small portable unit that saves time sieving out the bigger bits of overburden/rocks.
I checked out ebay for a small 12v geared motor combo and eventually settled on windscreen wiper moter from the wreckers, so tomorrow i will see if I can get one that will do the job.
Now I have to sort out the drive belt, and I thought about a bike around the circumference of the barrel then down onto the geared motor.
Cheers
Brad...

Hi Brad.
Good looking set of plans. At 250x800 its nice and light also.
Been trying to find you a link to a video I watched a while back with a bloke and a homemade bucket tromell. Its stored on my computer "somewhere"....
Just a quick question. If the motive power for the tromell is anything more than hand operated dosent it make it illegal for prospecting??
Cheers
Chris

Hey Chris,
That is a good question, but I know a few who have and say that it is just classifying the material not using it to exract as that is done by hand, ie pick and shovel.
I could be wrong, if so I will use it at home to classify my bkts I collect from the trips I go on.
If anyone has a bit more clarification on the legalities of one please let me know before I proceed with the build.
I could turn it into a manual one I suppose.
Cheers
Brad....

Found some pics Brad but still no video on the white bucket trommell
20litretrommell.jpg
20litretrommell2.jpg

I thought this second one was a beauty.Took a while to work out where he got the framework. Its actually the skeleton of one of those old large ash trays that we used to have out on the streets or at venues.
june9th2012001.jpg
june9th2012003.jpg

Been looking for one of these for over a year now. Found one in a pool shop the guy was using as a display box. Just wouldnt part with it. Might pay him another visit soon. :D :D
ashtraymd.jpg
trommel005.jpg

Not exactly the most portable of units but what a great practical idea.
Cheers
Chris

People are pretty ingenious when there's a need to get something done. That is a great idea with the punch plate already done it's just a matter of finishing to your specs. Chris I wonder if you could try the works dept at the council in your area they may have one laying around. Cheers, Rick.

Now that is just magic, an awesome job on that and it is man powered so I could get the kids to turn the trommel while I shovel...mmmmmmmmmmm... child slave labour. wont hurt them :D
Cheers
Brad..

ChrisM said:
Just a quick question. If the motive power for the tromell is anything more than hand operated dosent it make it illegal for prospecting??

Mechanized excavation is the only no-no in Vic...mechanized processing units are OK...but can bring locals a-calling if they are too noisy.

Great idea,the amount of work screening material is hard on the hands.
Plastic buckets would be cheaper than pipe and lighter, some spray bar or
trough would help.holding it down on the wheels needs to needs to be
addressed so maybe a drive belt going over the top!
Good luck and put me down for one.

Latest posts