Plastic, how long will it last?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moneybox

Philip & Sandra Box
Reaction score
There's all this HoHa about plastic that will pollute the planet for centuries to come.

1580473551_squash_raquets.jpg

Lets face it, there's plastic going to waste all over the place. These raquets that Mrs M left in her wake after a tough game of squash are a prime example. Those sort of things are never going to anywhere but landfill. The cost of recycling the plastic would be prohibitive.

1580473203_bucket_sieve.jpg

I picked up my bucket sieve the other day to screen some sand and the side snapped out of it. Each time I tried to pick it up with gravel inside a chunk snapped off. I managed to get the job done but the bucket part of the sieve had bits missing all around the top. After returning from Capel the other day I noticed Mrs M heading to the bin with my bucket sieve, it didn't last the journey.

1580474070_van_load.jpg

Take a look at that pink bucket in the back of the van. It's obviously breaking down and after a few more weeks here it will go the same way that my bucket sieve went.

1580474242_jerry_can_2.jpg

I heard a strange noise coming from the garden shed. As I approached it I could smell the petrol.

1580474467_jerry_can_3.jpg

The jerry can had had enough of our Cue weather. The side had cracked in two places but was only spraying a fine squirt of petrol onto the hot shed wall.

1580474336_jerry_can_1.jpg

I was lucky enough to get there quickly and saved almost all of the petrol but all I had to put it in was another jerry can the same. I don't know if these numbers indicate the manufacture date but in the big scheme of things this plastic is not very old.

1580474634_plastic.jpg

While in Geraldton last year I bought a new can of automotive body filler. The can had only been opened once before I opened it today. When I went to unscrew the cap from the catalyst it just crumbled in my fingers but the contents were ok. As soon as I squeezed the tube it cracked from end to end.

Once again this plastic product is relatively new. I think a lot of our plastic products will return to nature long before much of the metal and glass we produce.

Moneybox the problem is, that a lot of these plastics (there are many different types) do crumble, but eventually they break down into the microscopic particles (the polymers) that make up the original piece. These 'nano-particles' are what become a problem in the environment, & they then last a very long time

25/3/98 that jerry can is , so almost 22 years .

Plastic will last forever , but its useable life is a different story.

Horrible stuff when its useless, but it has to be one of the greatest life changing materials man has concocted.

To see a world with zero landfill and all the unemployed working in regional recycling centers would be the dream.

aussiefarmer said:
25/3/98 that jerry can is , so almost 22 years .

Plastic will last forever , but its useable life is a different story.

Horrible stuff when its useless, but it has to be one of the greatest life changing materials man has concocted.

To see a world with zero landfill and all the unemployed working in regional recycling centers would be the dream.

Yes I guess it is 22 years old but now what? I have six (five now) of these jerry cans that all look good but are obviously a serious risk. Imagine having that in the camper bounding along in the back of beyond. It could be enough to have you come permanently undone :argh: I have another heap of various sized and coloured ones some that are older, some newer, some with diesel or kero but can I trust any of them?

I realized a few years back that if I carried them in the boot of the bus the fumes would make their way into my bed at night however my steel jerry can that I can trust never deforms in the hot and cold and never releases fumes.

1580515791_jerry_can_4.jpg

This morning I thought I should check on that petrol can that I transferred the fuel to. This is what it looks like on a cool morning, by this afternoon it will be like a balloon. I must be basically airtight because it's sucked flat but I'm sure it had more fuel than that when I tipped it in.

Hi Moneybox,

You may not need one, but I have converted my plastic jerry cans, which have done exactly the same thing as yours did, (we are in tropical North Queensland) into great engine oil draining trays. The crack is almost exactly where you need to cut out a side to make a flat laying tray. We once had several of those red jerry cans (bought 20 years ago) and they all did the same thing at the same point. I have made a couple into trays so I can drain engine oil at the sump plug and oil at the filter at the same time, also they have good holding capacity for radiator draining, gearboxes etc. I leave them out in the sun all the time now when not using them and no new cracks have appeared. It is the flexing in and out as petrol expands and contracts that they can't handle.

We now now use the black plastic jerry cans (some are Rheem brand I think) and have never had the same problem.

Many plastics in the tropics break down very quickly, I have tubes of stuff that look exactly like yours. Eskys do it too.

Cheers,
Graham

I am still using a metal 20 litre jerry can i was using when i raced motorcross bikes in the mid 80`s and there is still no sign of rust or any leaks. I have even still got the Craig Dack and Jeff Leisk stickers on it.

But i have had a few 20 litre plastic one`s that leaked and don`t trust them. Had one leak all over my camping gear and only found out once i had arrived after a 300 km trip. Not happy .

But there is a positive side to the plastic debate like this picture i took of the enviro bags hanging on a shop door that say NO to plastic.

All the coat hangers they were on were made of plastic ........ but that`s ok. We will ignore that little fact !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is call irony .

1580616131_bag.jpg

Latest posts