Perth metro beaches?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone detect Perth metro beaches?

I'm just wondering if its worth having a look, especially after last nights storm.

I wouldn't be surprised if that storm removed the last of the sand from some of them! That's the usual pattern along the Perth coastline - winter storms strip sand, lost coins and jewelry from the beaches and carry it all offshore for 100-200 metres. In spring, the tides bring the sand back, but empty of detectable finds.

If you check out Cottesloe, look for a narrow band of black sand down near the water line. It's associated with older coins, including corroded coppers and possibly pre-decimal silvers if you're lucky.

I wouldn't be surprised if that storm removed the last of the sand from some of them! That's the usual pattern along the Perth coastline - winter storms strip sand, lost coins and jewelry from the beaches and carry it all offshore for 100-200 metres. In spring, the tides bring the sand back, but empty of detectable finds.

If you check out Cottesloe, look for a narrow band of black sand down near the water line. It's associated with older coins, including corroded coppers and possibly pre-decimal silvers if you're lucky.

Thanks Grubstake - I'll give it a go if work doesn't get in the way.

I had a look along the river near East Fremantle this morning, found a few dollars, a 1955 wheat threepence and this odd looking copper disk.

The copper disk has a hole in the centre and a 5 point star surrounding the hole.

There may have been some other markings on that side but they have been corroded away.

I can't see much detail on the rear, I don't think there is any thing on the rear. I wonder if it's some sort of token rather than a coin.

Attachments

• 20220524_143044.jpg
    20220524_143044.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • Close up.jpg
    Close up.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
"The copper disk has a hole in the centre and a 5 point star surrounding the hole."

Looks like a stud/button from a pair of jeans, as small as a three pence.

Looks like a stud/button from a pair of jeans, as small as a three pence.

Yeah that would be explain the rough finish, the hole punched is not neat or centered very well. It would also explain the bare looking back

Odd that it's got coin like serrations around the outer edge.

Thanks Grubstake - I'll give it a go if work doesn't get in the way.

I had a look along the river near East Fremantle this morning, found a few dollars, a 1955 wheat threepence and this odd looking copper disk.

The copper disk has a hole in the centre and a 5 point star surrounding the hole.

There may have been some other markings on that side but they have been corroded away.

I can't see much detail on the rear, I don't think there is any thing on the rear. I wonder if it's some sort of token rather than a coin.
I think its the wick control for an old oil lamp,seem to remember there was a Star make.

think its the wick control for an old oil lamp,seem to remember there was a Star make.

Cheers Coinholeo - that makes a bit of sense;

The rough stamping with the slightly offset centre hole, no back side markings and the ROUGH serrations around the outside would all be expected on a wick holder.

I'll go see what I can find online.

Edit - close-ish:

Attachments

• antique-1880-brass-star-b-oil-lamp_1_e18cba3868a03f8902f4e8bd61f881b7.jpg
    antique-1880-brass-star-b-oil-lamp_1_e18cba3868a03f8902f4e8bd61f881b7.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts