PC Hacking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I had an email from a hacker which seized up my pc. 2 days ago. Somehow they withdrew $5000.00 from my acct. I quickly rang Stg Bank and after approx they where able to have the money back into my acct. Whew!!!!!! The originators of this scam claimed to be microsoft in Sydney all with Indian accents. I won this time because I accessed the bank very quickly and they cancelled the Osko transfer.

Reaction score
That was very lucky Jaros.

Whenever a friendly person from Microsoft calls never ever ever get them to help "fixing"your PC. Microsoft will never ever call to help you, it is always a scam.
Just hang up.

I usually like to have a bit of fun with them and waste their time for half an hour or so if I don't have anything else to do.

I made one so furious once that he told me "I ruv fluck a you Aulsie scum", I said that "I ruv fluckm you too". :oops:
🤣

Reaction score
I gave my pc to Australian Computer Traders who are just around the corner from me and asked for a full clean and wipe plus have Malwarebytes installed again--at 8 am today rang them and that done the job and installed Win 11 at no extra charge==total was $88-00 with free telephone advice to get it going on my wi-fi again, which i didn't need. It all happened on Monday when i was trying to get rid of all the chinese script attached to my facebook which i did a system reset then BANG i was locked out with no way to access my system except to go to ACT.Great team.

Reaction score
All this is starting to get beyond me now and I still thought I could handle the scams and tech.--We all have our weak moments I suppose.. Cheers fellas.

Reaction score
All this is starting to get beyond me now and I still thought I could handle the scams and tech.--We all have our weak moments I suppose.. Cheers fellas.
Very easy to get scammed, some are obvious and some are really cunning!

Last edited:
Reaction score
hi all this can also happen to your phone, answer is if you don't know the number calling don't answer.
l have on my voice mail a message saying "if you want a reply to your call leave a clearly stated message saying what the call is about and who you are"
cheers all

Reaction score
Jaros did you click a link or install something so they could access data on your pc?
This is a very good question and it would help if you told us how your scam unfolded Jaros, so that we can learn from how you got scammed yesterday?
It's good to hear that you got your money back as a lot of people that do get scammed, don't see their money again.

Reaction score
Yes its 99% user error most of the time. Common files like .jpg .pdf .mp4 .mp3 can contain hidden content inside the file and then can be attached to an email or shared on social media websites. Or random pics/videos most people send to friends via Facebook messenger. The common file doesn't need to be executed like a normal double click file it just has to be loaded in your browser or messenger. Your computer is always downloading every displayed file or background music etc on every website page you visit (except those files you get asked to download/save) and storing it in a folder usually on a windows platform called: temporary internet files and then those files are used to makeup the shown webpage your browsing via your web browser. Most people on fast internet connections won't see this happening as everything loads seamlessly. Dialup people or those on very slow connections should see it happening. Once the common bad file is shown, played which acts just like a normal file that's when things start to execute on the users computer depending on how the bad file was made. In some cases it can setup a bypass to your windows firewall options (or common well known free antivirus programs, or popular Norton) to allow more safe(bad) incoming file(s) or purposely allow control remotely usually done secretly to the registry. Once the bad person gains control they may just monitor your usage to determine a good time to do whatever it is they want to do to you. Once they have established a window of opportunity they can browse your computers files (all your saved passwords via internet browser, websites you've visited, emails with attached files, your photos, any attached devices (webcam), purchases with CC on websites you've brought off, login to PayPal if you have quick access saved password in browser even if they only get a few digits (hackers tend to slowly build up a profile of you and if your worth targeting) and if you are they might even flash your bios from over the internet to store some file in the bios memory which always gain access to your computer again even after format unless you know how to fix it. Sorry for long post.

Reaction score
No worries about the post length. Had int bkg reinstated over the ph. Love that bank. They caught me at a weak moment in my meditation - smiling biggly now.

Reaction score
I think the key here is the email, it is likely you have clicked on a link (intentionally or unintentionally) or run an attachment and viola!

An email can't do anything on its own without human interaction. Same as a virus cannot do anything on it's own unless it is run by a person clicking on it. I know this as I used to decompile virus/trojans some years back, just to see how they functioned. There is some awful smart people writing these things, especially the trojans, some of them were a work of art in programming terms.

Reaction score
If they made a withdrawal of $5000 from my account, they would have got away with a whole $3.72....just sayin'....anyway good luck Jaros....

Reaction score
A virus or trojan or malicious code can trigger without human interaction so long as its targeting a vulnerability within a certain program for example AVG free used to have many vulnerabilities and loopholes (they do fixed them overtime) and if a virus is setup to target those vulnerabilities within AVG Free when AVG free scans the incoming file it can actually trigger the virus or malicious code. Not everyone has AVG Free so only a minor percentage will get infected until the company rolls out a patch to fix that vulnerability or security loophole.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts