Palmer River.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look after you and yours mate before chasing ghosts...
That's the thing Simmo, that's exactly what I'm trying to do. I'm trying to look after my lot here whilst looking after me and going up there! Tough stuff mate. It's just like juggling, all the little bits gotta fall into place at just the right time. I'll be seeing clearer on Monday when the missus rings the hospital Monday to confirm the booking. Then I'll check out them ghosts :)

Hi NZ gold hunter,​

I'm on the Gold Coast, roughly 22 - 24 hours drive to Cairns, (apparently that's a straight non stop drive). I'd love to join you ...... however - my daughter leaves for NZ on the 13th, (her big OE and first trip out of Aus,) and my missus has an operation on the 15th July. She requires looking after for 24 hours after the operation. If all goes well I could leave on the 16th, tho I seriously doubt I'll be up in Cairns on the 17th in any kind of condition to be going anywhere.......... well anywhere without matchsticks propping my eyelids and brain up.
So at this point I'm putting my hand up hoping my missus's operation is cancelled yet again, my daughters flight is cancelled for a week................ nah, that's too selfish!
I just hope I can make it to Cairns on the 17th somehow and meet you there. It's my dream trip.
I'll let you know as soon as I know exactly what's happening down here.

Cheers Dude,

Mr Tee
Hiya Mr Tee,
Sounds good. I will be in Cook town on 17th then cairns to drop family off then 19th to Palmer.
Sounds like Xloox will already be there so should be a group of us. Cant wait!! Leaving here (Nelson NZ) on Monday.
I will PM you my phone details as well.
Cheers,

Hiya Mr Tee,
Sounds good. I will be in Cook town on 17th then cairns to drop family off then 19th to Palmer.
Sounds like Xloox will already be there so should be a group of us. Cant wait!! Leaving here (Nelson NZ) on Monday.
I will PM you my phone details as well.
Cheers,
Did you want to catch a ride into Palmer on 19th or have your own 4wd?

Did you want to catch a ride into Palmer on 19th or have your own 4wd?
Hi NZ Gold Hunter,

I've a couple 4wd's, but hoping to bring my 80 series as it hasn't done any work in the past 6-8 years. Was the dogs car but he passed in Jan. Probably only done 500 kms in that time so needs a good workout. Been working on it for prospecting so should be fun.
Missus hasn't heard back from the hospital as yet so cannot commit just yet, but I'll yell if it's a goer.
Glad to hear that there are others coming The more the wiser we'll be lol.
Anywayz, I'll keep you up to date and we'll see how we go.

Cheers - Mr Tee

Heard of some good finds in the last week or so, anyone know if the grass burn has been carried out yet?
Sending my rooted 11" 6000 coil back to minelab today, along with my rooted satellite TV receiver & my wife's rooted phone (all rooted in the same week in Georgetown) should be sorted in the next couple of weeks then most probably going to cannibal creek, so see you there (90% probability) in JB caravan.

I'd trust the proven machine.
The 80 series is proven........tho not mine of late.
I've put a new diff head in it (old one was whining), done all the bearings, oil in the diffs, gearbox, transfer case and engine. It had gas, but I removed the tank as it hung down to low at the rear. I'll probably put a water tank in there. Working on the body atm so should be ok for this trip. If not ready I'll bring the 100 series tho it doesn't have the room the 80 does.
Oh well, just gotta see how events unfold over the next couple of weeks.

Heard of some good finds in the last week or so, anyone know if the grass burn has been carried out yet?
Sending my rooted 11" 6000 coil back to minelab today, along with my rooted satellite TV receiver & my wife's rooted phone (all rooted in the same week in Georgetown) should be sorted in the next couple of weeks then most probably going to cannibal creek, so see you there (90% probability) in JB caravan.
There is no authorised grass burn on the Palmer just a bunch of do as I please cowboys.Most of us that have leases up there have our suspicions but very hard to police.Countless baby birds in nest are killed every year thanks to these morons.If going to cannibal creek do a little research on the leases in the area,and the best route in as there are some locked gates now

Got the news from the hospital today. The day before my partners appointment is meant to be, they will either ring or txt us and confirm day and a time!!! Makes life real difficult as the missus has to tell her work what day she'll be off so they can fill her position. If she takes the 19th off and they decide the 20th is the day of her op, she will lose a days sick leave and have to book another day off lol. Not much we can do about it tho. She needs this op. We did press them but they were very sorry, they just couldn't give us a time and even the time they'll be giving us they day prior to the op, is only an estimated time.
Sad to say NZ Gold Hunter, I'll not be joining you up there at this stage. Please let us know how everything goes, any tips you may have etc. I'll be looking forward to hearing from you as I will be going up when things settle here and my elder daughter's back from NZ.

Cheers - Mr Tee

Last edited:
There is no authorised grass burn on the Palmer just a bunch of do as I please cowboys.Most of us that have leases up there have our suspicions but very hard to police.Countless baby birds in nest are killed every year thanks to these morons.If going to cannibal creek do a little research on the leases in the area,and the best route in as there are some locked gates now
Hi Jeffogold,

Any tips you have re access etc and places to 'go/stop at', would be very welcome, especially for our Kiwi friend who has just a few days up there. I believe getting him on gold would be a great promotion for the district overseas. I'd also appreciate same for when I eventually make it up your way.

Cheers mate,

Mr Tee

Just so your aware Georgetown also currently full of covid All your gear might have caught the virus o_O🤣

Hi Jeff,
Your post has been reported by some members.
So after discussion within the Mod Team, I am the one tasked to respond to the reports.
This was my reply within the Mod Room after being asked for my opinion on the matter.

[Hmm hard one.
There most definately are some disgruntled Lease holders up there with the Land holder opening this all up.
Not sure on his (jeffogold) comments about access as the access to the prospecting area is plain and simple.
Where I do see a problem, is they have opened up toward the Groganville area, which is mostly fine gold!

There are tons of leases down there, they are not fenced and wandering onto leases does occur...]

So Jeff,
As a lease holder myself up there, I do see your concerns, with access and as fires happen every year.
Calling out 'do as I please Cowboys' and 'morons' is not appropriate, especially when it is 'hard to police'.
We do not know who and how any fires start, so attaching your comments to this thread in that manner is not on mate.
Quite counterproductive in fact?

I wholeheartedly agree with doing your research before visiting ANY area!
Where I personally am in support of this Pay to Detect operation is that it gives Far Northerners a real option to get out and prospect a really good Gold field... Legally!!
They can stop poaching/stealing on the R16 and beyond!

This is a good thing for the region and FNQ prospectors.
(Note: I am not talking about the operations of the business running this, that's not my gig, but the fact that folks can get up there and explore the country is awesome IMHO!)

Hi Jeff,
Your post has been reported by some members.
So after discussion within the Mod Team, I am the one tasked to respond to the reports.
This was my reply within the Mod Room after being asked for my opinion on the matter.

[Hmm hard one.
There most definately are some disgruntled Lease holders up there with the Land holder opening this all up.
Not sure on his (jeffogold) comments about access as the access to the prospecting area is plain and simple.
Where I do see a problem, is they have opened up toward the Groganville area, which is mostly fine gold!

There are tons of leases down there, they are not fenced and wandering onto leases does occur...]

So Jeff,
As a lease holder myself up there, I do see your concerns, with access and as fires happen every year.
Calling out 'do as I please Cowboys' and 'morons' is not appropriate, especially when it is 'hard to police'.
We do not know who and how any fires start, so attaching your comments to this thread in that manner is not on mate.
Quite counterproductive in fact?

I wholeheartedly agree with doing your research before visiting ANY area!
Where I personally am in support of this Pay to Detect operation is that it gives Far Northerners a real option to get out and prospect a really good Gold field... Legally!!
They can stop poaching/stealing on the R16 and beyond!

This is a good thing for the region and FNQ prospectors.
(Note: I am not talking about the operations of the business running this, that's not my gig, but the fact that folks can get up there and explore the country is awesome IMHO!)
So you're saying not good for peeps like me.......... out of towners etc. I feel a bit stupid now in my last comments to Jeffgold. Didn't realise the local issues. Oooops

So you're saying not good for peeps like me.......... out of towners etc. I feel a bit stupid now in my last comments to Jeffgold. Didn't realise the local issues. Oooops
No mate I am not saying that at all!! Not sure where you got that from!!
'Local issues' are quashed if you do the right thing like dont light fires or trespass!

Hi Jeffogold,

Any tips you have re access etc and places to 'go/stop at', would be very welcome, especially for our Kiwi friend who has just a few days up there. I believe getting him on gold would be a great promotion for the district overseas. I'd also appreciate same for when I eventually make it up your way.

Cheers mate,

Mr Tee
Bloke you run thru gold country all the way up from the Gold Coast. Travelling thru Gympie, Clermont, Charters Towers, Etheridge Shire then onto Palmer River 👍 NZ hunter might struggle a little with only four days available as probably take several days just to get oneself orientated with the area.

Last edited:

Latest posts