Outback Survival tips

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Canteen and cup, can collect and boil water. Tweezers, mainly for picking small gold, but handy to use as...tweezers!
snake bite bandage, can be used for bad cuts or as rope. Toilet paper in a waterproof bag....can be used to start a fire or to wipe your date, bic lighter and waterproof/windproof matches, packet of lifesvers, cable ties have multiple uses including torneque(better to have a limb amputated than to bleed to death, remote remember) also handy to use to fix stuff, detector cables etc, and a strip of panadine. A decent knife. Used to carry a lethermans, only reason I dont now, is I lost it.....
That stuff weighs nearly nothing and although its a pain sometimes, im always glad to have it.

Notice how smart that foreign visitor was down in Gippsland a few days ago. Got lost close to her camp but knew enough to stay near water and prepare herself to wait until rescue came. She survived 4-5? days without food but was in generally good health. If she had of kept walking in that scrub she might just have likely never been found. Smart girl.

Gpx5000 said:
We'll be fine in the bush, we've watched every episode of Russell Coights All Aussie Adventures. :D
PS. There's a new series starting on Sunday August 5 for those wanting to top up their outback bush 'knowledge'. :Y:

Ripper I'll be tuning in :Y:

Paulmarr said:
Get First Aid Training (from St. John's in South Australia) - all well and good to go prepared with every gizmo under the sun and a truck full of water... But guys and gals half the time our bodies are the issue - not the car or the flies. We are not all spring chickens or Olympians so you should always have someone in your group trained in dealing with serious injury/sickness - it might just save your life or the lives of others you are traveling with! Help could be hours away ...

right on the money :Y:
oh yeah, & did you mention, MORE WATER (the dog gets thirsty too) :p

Hahaha just a couple for you mate :Y:
Hocked up the camper and drove off..but only hooked up the tail light conector.Broke the harness. :lol:

Threw petrol on the fire straight out of the 5ltr container after a few rums ..because the wood was damp..caught my arm and half the campsite on fire :mad: :lol:

Got bogged and had to wait for help...2 hrs later and $200 down....I realised I hadn't engaged the front accels.. :mad: :lol:

Slept out in the open on a cold night...too close to the fire..woke up with the sleeping bag shrinkwraped to my body..Again to many rums :lol:
The Adventures go on for ever mate :Y: :p

Smoky bandit said:
My wife and kids call me Russell..After him..We have had many ..All Aussie Adventures. :Y:

I have a mate called Ollie, he takes after Russell, when we go 4x4ing we always say were going on an All Ollie Adventure :D

if you are lost don't cross fences you have a better chance of being found on a fence line than anywhere else this is from experience from hunters on my family property they head off cross fences and just go till they get bushed and can be miles away from where they started and were do you start to look trying to find them and carry something shiny everyone I found were reflecting something so they could be seen

Current link for a "Survival Manual -Aids to Survival Manual (Courtesy WA Police Academy)"
https://vks737.radio/documents/
pdf document download can be found at the bottom of that page
Also note that this document appears to be from 2007 so is not necessarily up-to-date on all aspects.

Here is another compilation of survival tips.

The latest issue (No. 53) of Datum Post for APLA members will be useful to many. While there are stacks of articles in the world about bush survival this one is probably among the best IMHO. It is written by Robert Fagan. It is very comprehensive and easy to read and understand covering issues like the advantages of a good cooee over a whistle, and how to use your analogue watch as a compass (for those who still have such) and gives approx survival times dependent upon water, heat and whether you are stationary or moving. And LOTS of other good stuff.

I'm not sure about copyright so I haven't included the article here.

I have been out with a couple that have spent many years in the scrub. It always amazes me that when I look up to see where they are they are waaaaay off and heading further. My method is to pull the Ute up under a nice tree, get set up and head off, I stay within sight of the Ute, when I have worked that area, I move the Ute. I don't know how many times I have picked up pieces on ground my friends have bolted over. Don't get me wrong they get good gold as well but I have seen them after going for a while walking back with the detector in the air. I have EPERB, compass, uhf, and small signalling mirror on my harness and hf radio and base station gps in the Ute with all the medical, water, tucker ect, so I try to be as safe as I can in the field but as I said I cover the ground near the Ute ... then move the Ute

On an iPhone once the pdf is open you can press the middle icon that looks like a square with an arrow, then scroll down and save the pdf to files, for offline viewing.

I have been out with a couple that have spent many years in the scrub. It always amazes me that when I look up to see where they are they are waaaaay off and heading further. My method is to pull the Ute up under a nice tree, get set up and head off, I stay within sight of the Ute, when I have worked that area, I move the Ute. I don't know how many times I have picked up pieces on ground my friends have bolted over. Don't get me wrong they get good gold as well but I have seen them after going for a while walking back with the detector in the air. I have EPERB, compass, uhf, and small signalling mirror on my harness and hf radio and base station gps in the Ute with all the medical, water, tucker ect, so I try to be as safe as I can in the field but as I said I cover the ground near the Ute ... then move the Ute
You haven’t got past the fear, you got the kit. Follow your mates bury some water close to camp, become bush smart, drive and mark all the tracks with your gps and phone. The sun goes e to w and sits in the n
Observe and try and depend on your instinct rather than gps and compass if you got the opportunity and willing, keeping them in pocket off-course for security and
Surveyor tape around camp brings you home if your not confident
It’s still got me buggered how
People Get lost
man walked this land with wheelbarrows
And Before with sticks and survived.
Surveyor or survivor or both

Latest posts