Outback Survival tips

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm surprised, coles, woollies and aldis didn't buy up all the copies and burn them to protect their market share. :lol:

Good idea about survival tips, here are 2 easy to remember navigation tips, one for day and one for night.

find north with your watch.

point the 12 idicator of your watch at the sun.
half way between the 12 , and the hour hand, is north.

Night time.

find the southern cross.
draw an imaginary line length ways through the southern cross.
now find the 2 pointers (alpha and centruri) now draw an imaginary line parralell between the pointers untill it cross paths with the line through the southern cross. Where the lines meet, drop down to the horizon, and that is close to due south.

there are variations to these methods , but they will keep you in line, north to the coast for me, or soth to the stuart highway from where I detect.

If you can get a copy of this book I recommend it.
1451163734_imag0929_1.jpg

Havnt read that one yet but I can tell its a very good one to keep close...not only keep close but read it until you remember it all. You may one day need to use the pages of the book to stuff into your clothes on a cold night for insulation..just never know.

I should prob do a fire and navigation post in here for quick access - but everyone should already know how being a prospecting forum

davent said:
Good idea about survival tips, here are 2 easy to remember navigation tips, one for day and one for night.

Night time.

find the southern cross.
now find the 2 pointers (alpha and centruri) now draw an imaginary line parralell between the pointers untill it cross paths with the line through the southern cross. Where the lines meet, drop down to the horizon, and that is close to due south.

there are variations to these methods , but they will keep you in line, north to the coast for me, or soth to the stuart highway from where I detect.

HI All
Please remember that if you intend on providing information on "Survival Tips" that you should ensure that the info you provide is correct.
The above method to find "Due South" via the Southern Cross is Incorrect, in such that the description of extending the line from the 2 pointers is wrong, you need to Bisect the pointers & extend the line at right angles to them & where this line extends & crosses the line drawn from the line drawn from the southern cross is the point from which you draw a vertical line to the horizon, have a look at this link http://www.teara.govt.nz/en/diagram/7486/navigating-by-the-southern-cross

This is not having a shot at anyone just a reminder to be aware of the info you post.

cheers
Lee

rc62burke said:
davent said:

Night time.

find the southern cross.

HI All
Please remember that if you intend on providing information on "Survival Tips" that you should ensure that the info you provide is correct.
The above method to find "Due South" via the Southern Cross is Incorrect, in such that the description of extending the line from the 2 pointers is wrong, you need to Bisect the pointers & extend the line at right angles to them & where this line extends & crosses the line drawn from the line drawn from the southern cross is the point from which you draw a vertical line to the horizon, have a look at this link http://www.teara.govt.nz/en/diagram/7486/navigating-by-the-southern-cross

This is not having a shot at anyone just a reminder to be aware of the info you post.

The diagram demonsrates exactley as I wrote it.....to me anyway. Good image and thats how I tried to explain it.
cheers
Lee

AtomRat said:
Sorry to bump in rc62burke but your both wrong. It depends what location you are in. :)

that method should be close to south anywhere in the southern hemisphere.

Anyway, I think this thread is a good idea, but if we are gonna have a dick measureing contest instead of posting useful info, then its not going to work.(not aimed at you atom)

The info need s to be correct, and useful.
add info to it, if its incorrect, then confirm it is not useful and have a mod delete it.
All in all, for those going to remote locations for the 1st time, you need to have some skills in bush craft, if you don, t then you need to learn some, by doing it yourself over time leading up to your trip.
I have seen people up here with only one spare tire, and just a road tire at that. I have also seen them over heated with very little water to put in their radiator, have a busted rad hose, and think they need to be towed! You need to be able to fix minor things that might go wrong with your car.
Recovery gear doesmnot need to be expensive or elaborate, just practicle and on hand.
Dad used to say, "id rather be looking at it than for it".

You need to know how to find , purify or make water. You need to be able to make a fire. (A box of matches or a $1 bic lighter is good for this!)
You need to know some first aid and some some advanced treatment (bush doctoring), remember, Im talking about remote trips now, not a couple of hours from town.

Hey Davent,
In your explanation you wrote, "find the 2 pointers (alpha and centruri) now draw an imaginary line parralell between the pointers" I took this to mean from point to point then extend the line, your made no reference to drawing a line at right angles to the line drawn between the pointers & that is where the confusion lay, I am not interested in "Cock Fighting" with anyone, frankly if something can be misinterpreted Like your simple explanation then it should be cleared up, not forgetting this is a thread dealing with "Survival"

Lee

The way I saw it was you both wrote the same thing regardless of member size. Its up to the reader to double check the info and I tooks davents info as close to yours considering them as an equal reply. Put them both together and its still usefull info. Here's the image for southern cross navigation. Interpret it as you will, its all the same. I shouldn't have said you were wrong..I should have said its info only for southern hemisphere, wasn't towards either one of your answers..just written wrong

By the way guys, does this method give you 'True' readings. From what I remember there was an addition bit of info to get 'true' direction.

1451179273_di-7486-enz.jpeg

rc62burke said:
Hey Davent,
In your explanation you wrote, "find the 2 pointers (alpha and centruri) now draw an imaginary line parralell between the pointers" I took this to mean from point to point then extend the line, your made no reference to drawing a line at right angles to the line drawn between the pointers & that is where the confusion lay, I am not interested in "c@#k Fighting" with anyone, frankly if something can be misinterpreted Like your simple explanation then it should be cleared up, not forgetting this is a thread dealing with "Survival"

Lee

there is a reference.
where the lines from the pointers cross with the line from the southern cross, drop down to the horizon, that is close to due south.
Parallel means parallel, between the pointers, i dont see how you could confuse that...anyhooo....

ok, I take it all back.

Ill leave the explanations for those who are better with words than me.

Ill be alright, I know what im doing in the bush, lived it all my life.
For those who dont know what to do, please learn something about bush craft before going remote.
I emphisise remote, because in most parts of this country, help is not too far away, and is good help!
When you need to drive 4x4 for a few hours to get back on bitumen, then drive another few hours to town, thats when you are going to need the knowledge. Having said that, dont think help is coming soon just because you are close to town. When I was kid, my next door nieghbor broke her anckle walking her dog, she was found the next day by a couple of blokes going fishing, if it wasnt for them, she might have died. This was only about 1 km from her house.

Atom, not sure if its true south, but its close.
At least if you know where south is, you know the rest North opposite etc.

When I was a kid, number 1 rule when lost is, stop where you are and wait.

Ok, so long as you have water nearby. While you are waiting, make a signal of some sort, make something that stands out. Straight lines and even spacing dont usually occur naturally. A smokey fire. Burn green bush if there is any. If you are in desert, and theres not much to burn, arrange rocks in lines, make an arrow pointing to you or your shelter. Shelter might just be shade of a bush, you might rotate around the shade with the sun.
Keep a garbage bag in a pocket all the time. Weighs nothing, can be used to collect water, provide some shade, make a vest, carry stuff, carry a couple eithqer on your person or in a small back pack.

1451182063_20151227_1134291.jpg
1451182085_20151227_1136581.jpg

this is the bare minimum I carry when I plan to be seperated from my car for an hour or more, usually ill add a day pack that will carry more water, camel back or similar, add a small pick, hat , sun glasses and pair of magnifying eye glasses, as I now need em to see detailed stuff.......sigh....

Latest posts