opinions vary on whether....

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Opinions vary on whether the use of a yabby pump for sucking gravel out of crevices is legal in Victoria. It is a hand tool but some would say it still falls under the definition using "mechanical means" to move gold bearing material which is illegal. Does anyone have the definitive answer?

Casper

I use one purely because of the lack of definition in the laws that define a hand tool. If push came to shove legally I reckon we would be safe, would they rather us smashing open bedrock with a jimmy bar? I will use one until I read a law saying its forbidden eg Dredges. So much hearsay in Victoria its crazy. I am yet to hear a documented case of a prospector getting shafted other than when they are doing large scale dodgy stuff.

I thing you would be safe it isn't controlled by a mechanical device it is a tool to assist just like a shovel

Exactly!!! that's what i woulda thought too!

Okay, it could be argued that the yabby pump employs "mechanical advantage" but so does the prospector equipped with a shovel or a pick - he employs a "lever" to gain "mechanical advantage" does he not!!

casper

if a yabby pump was banned, (which its not!!!!!) so would a water pump to run a high banker, and you would have to tip a bucket of water over it as the old timers did. (AS IF THAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN)
there is no mention of yabby pumps in the DPI site only mechanical

The legalities around a pump sucker of any sort are tricky/hard to interpret because - hand operated or not, they use "water" to lift gravels or pay dirt.

Using water to lift something is classed as hydraulic. Hydraulicly excavating (removing paydirt(what a sucker pump does) from creeks & crevices) is not allowed & works on the same principals as a dredge operates.

Might be getting into the nitty gritty of it all, but if you really look into it I would say it is not allowed.

But...

I on the other hand, have one(small sucker pump) & use it & won't be hiding it if I get questioned.
If you use is descretely & it's only a small sucker, I don't think any ranger will raise an eye brow.

I use an oil transfer pump - (small version of a yabby pump) about 30cm long, it's ready to go from the shop - sucker hose & all.
About $18 from SuperCheap Autos.

Friends of mine have been aproached in the past whist prospecting & the ranger only seemed interested if they were getting any colour. He wasn't interested in their highbanker or the pump they had to run it.

Latest posts