Opal mining: If It Glows Do I Want It

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hello all once again....hope i got this in the rite spot... Im using a eagtac 365nm mx30l3-c uv led light which is not a bad black light so im told. My queston is this if i use the blacklight and when i turn it off the spot that i used it on glows for afew seconds is that the stuff opal hunters are looking for ?.

Last edited:
That looks SO dodgy down there, mate - do you actually know what you're doing? Some areas looked like the miners had taken out too much of the roof support rock, but I didn't see a single timber prop in place to take the load.

That looks SO dodgy down there, mate - do you actually know what you're doing? Some areas looked like the miners had taken out too much of the roof support rock, but I didn't see a single timber prop in place to take the load.
Hello and thank you for your reply "Do i know what i am doing ?: No idea at all as for supports i have been advised that it is safe as im am around 12 to 15 mtrs underground and another person who showed me there underground claim is alot wider and higher than mine and they have no supports but have been doing it for 20 years. That is my knowledge of mining.. I got it more as a place to get out of the 45 degree heat instead of sitting at home with the air con going,

In your video I could see some big heaps of broken rock that looked like it had fallen from the roof, which would indicate dangerous instability if it has.

I'm not a mining engineer but I've been down a number of underground mines here in WA (and one in California), always accompanied by trusted professionals. I've actually seen an area of a mine that was in the process of shedding overhead rock - the Chief Geologist of a major mining company took me there to show me how it looked. He was hopping over boulders saying encouraging things like, "This material has fallen down since I was here yesterday"! It was damned scary.

Opal mining is full of people who think they know what's what on the basis of practical experience only, rather than actual mining expertise and training. Please take great care.

In your video I could see some big heaps of broken rock that looked like it had fallen from the roof, which would indicate dangerous instability if it has.

I'm not a mining engineer but I've been down a number of underground mines here in WA (and one in California), always accompanied by trusted professionals. I've actually seen an area of a mine that was in the process of shedding overhead rock - the Chief Geologist of a major mining company took me there to show me how it looked. He was hopping over boulders saying encouraging things like, "This material has fallen down since I was here yesterday"! It was damned scary.

Opal mining is full of people who think they know what's what on the basis of practical experience only, rather than actual mining expertise and training. Please take great care.
ah yes i see your point and do thank you for your advice i will look into its safety more

short answer, safety aside, is that only some opal glows under a specific UV wavelength (please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think 265nm?) and it will only work on white opal (again please correct if wrong)

My sum total knowledge of opal mining is from watching Opal Hunters on TV so take this for what it's worth 😃...

When they were using a blacklight, all the white opal type rocks glowed, but they had to look at it again in natural light to pick out the opal with colour, (the good stuff) and sort that from the more common potch ie a bland looking type of opal with no colour and therefore worthless.....I don't recall seeing whether it worked on black opal or not...

Other minerals can glow under a black light, but I wouldn't think they would be common in opal bearing rocks...

As an aside, I have also seen scorpions glowing under a blacklight although that was in RSA, so have no idea if your local varieties do the same...

I had the chance to go down one of the ultra deep goldmines in South Africa, and like you say very scary stuff. The had some sort of drag system on chains bolted to the roof that would drag the mined gold bearing rock from the face...We were standing about 20 yards from the back of this watching a guy operate it when it brought part of the roof down at the mine face...it was only a small collapse and seemed to be business as usual to the miners but scared the crap out of me!

My sum total knowledge of opal mining is from watching Opal Hunters on TV so take this for what it's worth 😃...

When they were using a blacklight, all the white opal type rocks glowed, but they had to look at it again in natural light to pick out the opal with colour, (the good stuff) and sort that from the more common potch ie a bland looking type of opal with no colour and therefore worthless.....I don't recall seeing whether it worked on black opal or not...

Other minerals can glow under a black light, but I wouldn't think they would be common in opal bearing rocks...

As an aside, I have also seen scorpions glowing under a blacklight although that was in RSA, so have no idea if your local varieties do the same...
thank you for your reply. i have met a guy here who was on opal hunters and am hoping to cross paths with him again and will seek some advice on the stuff that ive come across.

Attachments

• abit of green.jpg
    abit of green.jpg
    778.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Let there be light.mp4
    655.5 KB
short answer, safety aside, is that only some opal glows under a specific UV wavelength (please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think 265nm?) and it will only work on white opal (again please correct if wrong)
About 60% will fluoresce, but perhaps only a third of black opal.

I have rarely seen timber supports underground in operating opal mines. Cannot compare with things like South African gold mines! However even opal mines do become unstable with time and I do not recommend entering old workings without an experienced miner with you to bar loose stuff down.

365nm is that right wavelength I can't remember the name/number of the correct filter needed that goes over it that blocks out what you don't want to see and illuminate what you do.
The light will charge the tiny amount of uranium present even in common opal(potch) and coloured opal(the stuff your after).
Keep everything that glows and check it in normal light for colour.
As for the danger, I just ignored it and did my thing.

365nm is that right wavelength I can't remember the name/number of the correct filter needed that goes over it that blocks out what you don't want to see and illuminate what you do.
The light will charge the tiny amount of uranium present even in common opal(potch) and coloured opal(the stuff your after).
Keep everything that glows and check it in normal light for colour.
As for the danger, I just ignored it and did my thing.
thank you for your reply and will look into filters for my light. As for danger well i had another long time miner have a look at the safety of my underground area and he said so far its ok but did give me some insights into alittle bit of safety but i guess its just a case of learning as i go. i have set up old school communications from my site to home using ssb 27mhz radio and the same at home as well as i have also given myself another 2 ways out if shit should fall unless it hits me but that the risk im happy to take but i do thank you for your advice and will look into filters

Mate of mine bought a noodling set up in Coober Pedy . He mounted it on a semi trailer so he could move it around . Before they were carting it by truck to the fixed set up . He was one of the first doing large scale noodling . Said he was making $80, 000 per year . There was one set up on the 8 mile , a young guy working on it fell and broke his back . He was in a wheel chair after that . I heard he shot himself .

I have been under ground in CP after mining machines have been working . Vast areas have been taken out with no supports in place . They got away with it because they were not doing any blasting . A number of miners have been killed by trying to get opal after the machines had left . Including some "experienced " ones .

Mate of mine bought a noodling set up in Coober Pedy . He mounted it on a semi trailer so he could move it around . Before they were carting it by truck to the fixed set up . He was one of the first doing large scale noodling . Said he was making $80, 000 per year . There was one set up on the 8 mile , a young guy working on it fell and broke his back . He was in a wheel chair after that . I heard he shot himself .

I have been under ground in CP after mining machines have been working . Vast areas have been taken out with no supports in place . They got away with it because they were not doing any blasting . A number of miners have been killed by trying to get opal after the machines had left . Including some "experienced " ones .
id be lying if i said that the hairs on the back of my neck didnt stand up sometimes when underground and i am always checking but i am also looking and talking with others in relation to making it as safe as i can but sadly here not many people seem to worry about supports and just take a chance. i on the other hand am trying to find as much advice on what i am doing to try and do it rite but its not easy to get the rite advice.

When I was mining , we used to ride up and down on York hoists , up to 60 feet . You just had to trust the guy that was working it . If he made a mistake you could go straight down . No safety brakes .

When I was mining , we used to ride up and down on York hoists , up to 60 feet . You just had to trust the guy that was working it . If he made a mistake you could go straight down . No safety brakes .
wow i dont think i could do that i like the fact that i can drive down and around underground

Attachments

• 322473047_718893446216384_7856864989291218862_n.jpg
    322473047_718893446216384_7856864989291218862_n.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
thank you for your reply and will look into filters for my light. As for danger well i had another long time miner have a look at the safety of my underground area and he said so far its ok but did give me some insights into alittle bit of safety but i guess its just a case of learning as i go. i have set up old school communications from my site to home using ssb 27mhz radio and the same at home as well as i have also given myself another 2 ways out if shit should fall unless it hits me but that the risk im happy to take but i do thank you for your advice and will look into filters
Found it, I've used this light, has the correct filter installed.
Makes all ground types look black, even white clays.
The only thing you will see with this is opal.

Latest posts