On This Day

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On This Day In 2003 Actor Charles Bronson died, aged 81, in Los Angeles 🎥🎬 I loved his movies.

On This Day In 2015 Champion Racehorse Trainer Bart Cummings died, aged 87, in Sydney 🏇 The Cups King of Australian Racing and the best Racehorse Trainer Australia has produced.

On This Day In 1666 The Great Fire Of London which destroyed more than 3,200 homes businesses and churches, began in a bakery in Pudding Lane. 🔥 🥧

On This Day In 1945 Japan formally and unconditionally surrendered to the Allies aboard the battleship USS Missouri in Tokyo Bay, to bring an end to World War 11 🖋

On This Day In 1939 Britain 🇬🇧 France 🇫🇷 Australia 🇦🇺 and New Zealand 🇳🇿 declared war on Germany 🇩🇪

On This Day In 1939 Britain 🇬🇧 France 🇫🇷 Australia 🇦🇺 and New Zealand 🇳🇿 declared war on Germany 🇩🇪
And India, Tonga. Transjordan, Morocco.
Interestingly neither Australia or New Zealand did declare war on Germany - they were still British Dominions so Britains declaration automatically put us at war. Menzies did not declare war, he announced that we were "at war" with Germany. His actual words were "in consequence of a persistence by Germany in her invasion of Poland, Great Britain has declared war upon her and that, as a result, Australia is also at war".
I was not previously aware that Britain actually committed us to war, not the Australian government.

On This Day In 1877 Crazy Horse, Chief of the Sioux Nation, died aged 35,at Fort Robinson, Nebraska 🦬: I've got hundreds of icons and emojies on this phone but the only one I could find that had any relevance to North American Indians was the Bison, not really fitting for a great leader. I once read an article that was attributed to Chief Crazy Horse which I loved, I can't remember it all but the first line from memory was "Your laws were written on plates of stone by an angry God with a finger of fire, our laws were past down to our elders from our ancestors in dreams" if I can find the article I will post it in Quote Of The Day

Last edited:
On This Day In 1877 Crazy Horse, Chief of the Sioux Nation, died aged 35,at Fort Robinson, Nebraska 🦬: I've got hundreds of icons and emojies on this phone but the only one I could find that had any relevance to North American Indians was the Bison, not really fitting for a great leader. I once read an article that was attributed to Chief Crazy Horse which I loved, I can't remember it all but the first line from memory was "Your laws were written on plates of stone by an angry God with a finger of fire, our laws were past down to our elders from our ancestors in dreams" if I can find the article I will post it in Quote Of The Day
https://www.dreamstime.com/stock-images-indian-chief-bow-white-image14476224

On This Day In 2007 Operatic tenor Luciano Pavarotti, died, aged 71, in Modena, Italy 🇮🇹 What a wonderful opera singer he was.

On This Day In 1966 Star Trek premiered on US television 📺 🛸 What a stunning success it became, spawning a whole new industry in special effects and film making.