Olinda creek

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all,
First post. Before lockdown I had just gotten into panning, now during this time I've managed to stock up on equipment (sluice/crevicing tools/classifier) and I'm champing at the bit to get going. After some research im looking at exploring the following areas.

Fryerstown
Daylesford/Hepburn Springs/Sailors Creek
Stieglitz
Matlock/Jericho/Jordan River

On a more local level I'm extremely keen to have a go along Olinda creek, in the Silvan, Mt Evelyn and Lilydale areas.

I have a miners right license, have spent plenty of time familiarising myself with the exempt rivers and creeks list.

Can anyone shed a bit more light on the local regs of the above areas, especially Olinda Creek.

Thanks in advance
Grinny M'Bark :fistpump:

Grinny M'Bark said:
I've just realised that Olinda Creek is a tributary to the Yarra, that prob makes it a no go

.... not necessarily so, if tributaries are "no go" the list will specifically say so ......... for example "Grinny M'Bark Creek (Tributary of Yarra River)"

Some examples below....
1587818599_screen_shot_2020-04-25_at_10.41.27_pm.jpg

Actually Casper, any tributary of the Yarra River above the Plenty River are definitely no go, as it states under "Yarra River".

The only exception is the part of Andersons Creek in Warrandyte.

1587822562_no_go.jpg

Cheers,
Megsy

Yes, ;) and actually I was hoping that the OP would respond especially because the post immediately before he asked his question provided the link to what he wanted to know. I was trying to lead the OP to making the discovery for himself - after all research is 9/10ths of this hobby.

Jericho / Jordon Valley, no prospecting as its within Melbourne Water Catchment for Thomson Dam.
When the dam was built initial plans were to restrict public access to the entire catchment as a closed
catchment area. Though very restricted access is allowed seasonally but prospecting is prohibited.

Stieglitz has a very limited area of Sutherland Creek set aside as a recreational panning area.

Latest posts