old railway stations

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave14110

David Gothard
Reaction score
Anyone have hints or knowledge on how best to detect these. I have tried to detect one but it is very difficult to detect between tracks. Maybe i should of stayed on platform but that seems to be ashphelted at some time. There must be better parts near it or perhaps a better way to do them. I Know of a few old train stations in my area & lot of them have not been used for years, most are covered in blackberry bushes & i dare to say proble have lots of snakes near them.

I actually have an old railway station in mind that I want to try out, but the problem for me is its been turned into an active workshop. I believe the tracks have been removed though and some concrete put down in some areas. One day I'm going to try the surrounds to see what I come up with.

Maybe a coil like the 4.5" AT Super Sniper coil (AT-PRO/GOLD) would be suitable for detecting in and around railway tracks?

I'd say at a guess there is about a dozen near me. But I believe most are now on private land. I have done a bit of a recky on 3 they all still have tracks & all have blackberries. have done a little detect at to & got about four coins at each. The coin that surprized me was a $1 as these station have not been used for many many years I would say trains defininatly stopped running at least 10 or 20 years prior to release of dollar coins, however I do not know for sure. The train line is the old train line thatused to go down to Leongatha from Dandenong. Sth Gippsland. I might try do some more research. Just had a look & found this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koo_Wee_Rup_railway_station,_Victoria
So this it stopped in 1993 so I was wrong the train stopped 9 years after the release of $1.
might have to do some more research.

hey nugget is that the rutherford racecourse train station i have been doing little bit of research on that as well

Latest posts