old NSW Geology maps - Nundle gold

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone - thought this might be interesting.

An extract from a site I found: -

"The whole series is seamed with quartz, but it is only in the vicinity of the diorite dykes that the veins carry gold. At Swamp Oak, the auriferous belt is two and a quarter miles long, and one and a half miles wide. Immediately to the north and south of this area, there have not been any auriferous veins found, but as the tract of country is more or less of the same geological formation, there is reason to believe that payable quartz reefs will be found, and it is a matter of importance that the country should be well prospected between Nundle and the Swamp Oak Creek, and also from Swamp Oak Creek in a northerly direction, until the granite is met. There is every likelihood that outcrops of diorite will be found, and the sediments in the immediate vicinity should be carefully examined for the veins."

The extract comes from old geological records of NSW where copyright has expired and Google has scanned and made public. While Google had made the text public it has done a poor job of the scanning with numerous mistakes some you have to use your commonsense to understand exactly what is being said. The integrity of the orginal documents have been lost and there are no drawings, sketches, illustrations that were in the original material. That said, there is still some interesting reading for those who want to give it a go. Please read the Google intro relating to copyright.

There is more on Nundle and surrounding areas. The best way to find the info is to open edit on your menu (after you have opened the site) and click 'find'. Type in the name or area you are interested in and see what comes up. The material was compiled in the late 1800s.

Will post the link following my 10th post (next one - I hope)

Cheers

Lam