Old metal cap end?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Any Idea's of what this may been off?
Its about the size of a 20c peice, but thicker.
It looks like King George stamped with a crown above the GR .
Possibly Army related?
Any ideas??
Co.

Attachments

• 20221003_200018.jpg
    20221003_200018.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 3
  • 20221003_200122.jpg
    20221003_200122.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 1
  • 20221003_200146.jpg
    20221003_200146.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 2
If it is a weight and if it’s weight does correspond to an imperial, Troy or avoirdupois weight such as ounce, pennyweight or dram multiple, that could solve that issue.

The scratches on the back are interesting. They are running roughly 90 and 45 degrees and have a randomness about them. They may correspond to NSEW movements. Perhaps a wear plate on a piece of surveying equipment. I think surveying in the colonies was done by the government hence the George Regina. Just a wild guess though.

Having the crown being government, and the GR I wonder if it might be a detonator end like they used on the railway lines to worn train drivers of work being done on the track..... just a guess but really not sure what to make of it

Having the crown being government, and the GR I wonder if it might be a detonator end like they used on the railway lines to worn train drivers of work being done on the track..... just a guess but really not sure what to make of it
Thank you for your response. Can you show a picture of what you mean please?

Reasonably sure it’s not part of a railway detonator. It’s unlikely they’d use something that thick or heavy. Most pictures you’ll find will show them being made of something that won’t ”lift” the wheel and flange too high off the rail. All the ones I’ve ever seen and used are thin plastic types.

Latest posts