NSW to phase out opera house yabby nets.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
By April 30, 2021, NSW government is phasing out the opera house style of yabby nets.

The department of primary industries is offering 5000 free open top nets to assist with the transition.

They can be contacted on 02 6051 7760 Monday to Friday to organise your free replacement. :perfect:

Upside said:
By April 30, 2021, NSW government is phasing out the opera house style of yabby nets.

The department of primary industries is offering 5000 free open top nets to assist with the transition.

They can be contacted on 02 6051 7760 Monday to Friday to organise your free replacement. :perfect:

Get a couple for me please post them to Adelaide..

Bet you there is a catch to this offer....

:)

Greenhornet_au said:
Upside said:

Get a couple for me please post them to Adelaide..

Bet you there is a catch to this offer....

:)

No catch. Simply go in with your opera house nets and swap for open tops. Victoria did this a while back.

Maybe we have more platypuses and that's why Vic outlawed them many years ago ..... sadly NSW is the only place where I've seen a dead one that was trapped ...... should be prohibited immediately, why wait.
Guess there may be more compliance if owners can swap ..... wonder if shops will try to continue selling them till the 30th April.

Teemore said:
Maybe we have more platypuses and that's why Vic outlawed them many years ago ..... sadly NSW is the only place where I've seen a dead one that was trapped ...... should be prohibited immediately, why wait.
Guess there may be more compliance if owners can swap ..... wonder if shops will try to continue selling them till the 30th April.

I haven't seen a shop sell them in NSW for a long time already. Not to say there aren't any. I actually thought they were already banned, I think lots did also. :Y:

Back in 2012 I bought one only to find they were banned east of the ranges.

I destroyed it on the spot.

I paid by memory around $10 each for my yabby nets. Pretty cheap in the scheme considering the hours of getting out and about and the fun of the catch , it's a cheap investment imo.

I think it's great the government is even offering a straight swap. They could just say stuff it, those are banned, deal with it. Pretty decent of them. :Y:

Operahouse nets, are they banned in SA ?

I thought that the SA units had to have a metal ring to restrict Platy's from getting in.

Guess I'm looking up SA fishing info now.

https://pir.sa.gov.au/fishing/fishing_gear/permitted_devices

1616207217_yabby_pot.jpg

Latest posts