NSW rules - please help

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gus

Reaction score
Please correct me if im wrong but you dont need a license to fossick in nsw but you cant fossick for commercial gain which means if i want to sell what i find i need a prospectors license ,(is this correct and who do i contact to get one)
Also i understand you cant use a powered dredge in australia .what i have read so far is you cant use fueled and electric powered but you can use hand powered items i have come up with a way to use water to suck up gold bearing material ( is this allowed)
Please help

Hi Guy. Welcome to PA.

In NSW you need a permit for State Forests. National parks are a no go area.
You cannot use mechanical means to remove material from a creek but you can use powered equipment to process your material once you remove it by hand tools.
Examples of equipment to process your material are High bankers, trowels etc.

Prospecting rules and regulations can be found here.... https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=67

Information on applying for a NSW permit can be found here.... https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=7116

G'day Gus, you can sell your finds tax free providing you stick within the NSW fossicking guidelines, you can use hand powered items as RJ advised. If you're thinking of using a gravity/siphon method then that's illegal also, they like to make it difficult......

I should probably just keep my head down here.... But Ramjet unfortunately here in NSW we can't use powered equipment for processing.
"What techniques cannot be used for fossicking?
Neither explosives nor dredges can be used in fossicking.
Power-operated equipment cannot be used on land or in waters for surface disturbance, excavation or
processing. Power operated equipment includes mechanical, hydraulic, pneumatic, battery and
electrical equipment or machinery"

The reason we can use a mechanical pump with the highbanker is because it is not processing anything but water and is only used to transport water to the highbanker.

So I guess the question is whether the use of "hand yabby pump" type equipment is ok? I've not done the research on this so cant give a definitive answer. I'm sure others can, hopefully without starting a debate.. :lol: :lol:

Many thanks guys and heatho im un sure of what you would class my idea (not my idea) its a pressure push me pull you system if you use water flow to pressurise a y pipe system the water flow created in the long part of the y creates suction in the short part of the y
I ask this because i found a place that i got 0.5 ounces of gold out of 1 cubic meter of material but it is too deep to free dive for very long and its very very cold at the depth i go and the old hand dont work so well when im down there
Also can i use mechanical items to bring the material up from the depth i work at it is really not fun pulling a cubic meter of material up

shivan said:
I should probably just keep my head down here.... But Ramjet unfortunately here in NSW we can't use powered equipment for processing.
"What techniques cannot be used for fossicking?
Neither explosives nor dredges can be used in fossicking.
Power-operated equipment cannot be used on land or in waters for surface disturbance, excavation or
processing. Power operated equipment includes mechanical, hydraulic, pneumatic, battery and
electrical equipment or machinery"

The reason we can use a mechanical pump with the highbanker is because it is not processing anything but water and is only used to transport water to the highbanker.

I know it's an eternal debate on what's legal and what's not. :rolleyes: I am happy to be corrected.

gus said:
Many thanks guys and heatho im un sure of what you would class my idea (not my idea) its a pressure push me pull you system if you use water flow to pressurise a y pipe system the water flow created in the long part of the y creates suction in the short part of the y
I ask this because i found a place that i got 0.5 ounces of gold out of 1 cubic meter of material but it is too deep to free dive for very long and its very very cold at the depth i go and the old hand dont work so well when im down there
Also can i use mechanical items to bring the material up from the depth i work at it is really not fun pulling a cubic meter of material up

I would call that dredging.

Ok one more question and i cant find much about it whats the go with using a breathing apparatus while diving cause i can only hold my breathe for 5 minutes while working and it affects my working time greatly

you can get small air pumps with hose and mouth piece from some sailing shops, we use them to dive under the yachts to scrub hulls in water or untangle props, may be worth a look but they are battery operated (car/boat battery) which might be a hassle

Ramjet said:
ASk al the questions you want. That way yourself and others will learn.
I believe some people use a Hooka? Wal may be able to answer this one.

LOL there is a line after that but i will leave it to your imagination

Hi Guy. Welcome to PA.

In NSW you need a permit for State Forests. National parks are a no go area.
You cannot use mechanical means to remove material from a creek but you can use powered equipment to process your material once you remove it by hand tools.
Examples of equipment to process your material are High bankers, trowels etc.

Prospecting rules and regulations can be found here.... https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=67

Information on applying for a NSW permit can be found here.... https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=7116
Hi I’m a newby here (and yes I have checked other blog threads and excuse my limited terminology). How do I get mining or mineral rights to my own land. 1/ so I can fossick or perhaps prospect, 2/ stop other people from making a claim. There seems to be conflicting information on the web and YouTube and most is based on permits for state forest rather than owned private land. Ps “near” Gloucester NSW

Hi I’m a newby here (and yes I have checked other blog threads and excuse my limited terminology). How do I get mining or mineral rights to my own land. 1/ so I can fossick or perhaps prospect, 2/ stop other people from making a claim. There seems to be conflicting information on the web and YouTube and most is based on permits for state forest rather than owned private land. Ps “near” Gloucester NSW

I don't know anything about NSW rules but I'm sure your most reliable source of information will be your local Mines Department.

1/ You don't need any mineral or mining rights to fossick/prospect on your own land in NSW as long as you are following the guidelines set out here: https://www.resourcesregulator.nsw.gov.au/rehabilitation/fossicking-nsw
2/ You can't really stop anyone taking out Exploration Leases over your land but if someone did there may be means/circumstances to restrict or stop access to your land for exploration. Granted Mining Leases are another level but would require feasible exploration results prior.
Info on NSW Exploration: https://www.resourcesregulator.nsw.gov.au/rehabilitation/exploration
Landowner Rights info: https://www.regional.nsw.gov.au/meg/community/landholder-rights

Latest posts